Third Party Press

Novice to classic firearms, request for info

nanthil

Greetings.

I am a complete novice when it comes to classic firearms. I know some of the jokes and memes about the Mauser, Mosin, and Enfield, but nothing for certain. I know that it is claimed that the Mauser's bolt is still used in modern bolt-action designs, but not what that means. I know that these classic rifles used to be valued at a dime a dozen.

I don't know what I'm looking for, what makes one rifle better than another, whether these are just display pieces or actually worth taking out to shoot. What I'm after is an inexpensive, full-size cartridge field rifle which will likely become attached to a high powered optic. It should be more accurate than I am, and be sufficiently self-maintainable. Many of my pals have one classic rifle or another they use for hunting, plinking, long-ranged shooting, or competition, and I don't have any idea what I'm looking at. Or maybe I should just be looking at something modern like an R700 or something.

Can someone please send me some links to reputable sources, be it articles, youtube channels, online shops, rifle vetting websites, historical websites that might be able to clue me in about classic firearms and rifles so I can know if I'm even in the right place?

Thanks!

I’ll attempt an reply to what I think you are asking. From what it sounds like you are after capable long distance rifle. Not that the classic rifles you mention are not capable of producing amazing accuracy that is not necessarily the intent of collecting these vintage military rifles. Gentlemen on this site have been known to pay multi thousands of dollars for a rifle with a shot out bore but an incredibly rare example of the respective rifle. Altering or scooping one of these rifles would be considered a sin. I like a Begara or Remington 700 would suit your needs as a shooter that could be scoped much better. If you do in deed ( I urge that you do ) pursue collecting some of these old rifles do it for the history, craftsmanship and knowledge that you’re a curator of an artifact. Shooting would be a bonus.
Hope this helps and good luck.

If you do in deed ( I urge that you do ) pursue collecting some of these old rifles do it for the history, craftsmanship and knowledge that you’re a curator of an artifact. Shooting would be a bonus.
Hope this helps and good luck.
I was considering a classic service rifle was partly due to my fascination with the period, Mausers in particular due to their reputation as engineering marvels, but also using a piece of history as part of my daily life has always been fascinating to me.

You're suggesting that it probably is inadvisable to rely on a classic service rifle from the period because its cost prohibitive, and may not be suitable for the purpose?

A K98 is a very capable shooter. That said I would seek out a all matching rare example and shoot multi thousands of rounds a year. You’ll find most here are purists and would never consider altering there rifles. Myself I have several very nice matching or bolt miss match K98s that I will most likely shoot very little or not at all in an effort to maintain the integrity of them. That said I have 2 Russian captures I shoot ALOT with all sorts of ammo including corrosive. I don’t worry so much about hurting them. Both are excellent shooters with good bores. It alsmost sound like seeking out a Russian Captured example would be the way for you you to meet your goal of a shootable and affordable representation.

I’d also like to add that I was in your position 5-6 years ago. Although I had several American WWII firearms example in the collection I decided I wanted a K98. Found a Russian Capture. That brought me to a bolt miss match. Now I have several matching rifles and can’t wait to find the next one so I’d be careful ��

A K98 is a very capable shooter. That said I would seek out a all matching rare example and shoot multi thousands of rounds a year. You’ll find most here are purists and would never consider altering there rifles. Myself I have several very nice matching or bolt miss match K98s that I will most likely shoot very little or not at all in an effort to maintain the integrity of them. That said I have 2 Russian captures I shoot ALOT with all sorts of ammo including corrosive. I don’t worry so much about hurting them. Both are excellent shooters with good bores. It alsmost sound like seeking out a Russian Captured example would be the way for you you to meet your goal of a shootable and affordable representation.

I’d also like to add that I was in your position 5-6 years ago. Although I had several American WWII firearms example in the collection I decided I wanted a K98. Found a Russian Capture. That brought me to a bolt miss match. Now I have several matching rifles and can’t wait to find the next one so I’d be careful ��

+1

Also i believe with a RC or any K98 you can now get scop mounts that do not require drilling and do not harm the rifle. I have no experience with these but maybe someone here does and can speak to their quality?

Cheers

I’d also like to add that I was in your position 5-6 years ago.... Now I have several matching rifles and can’t wait to find the next one so I’d be careful

I feel like I'm having a bit of a repeat situation from about a decade ago. I wanted a car that I can work on with nothing but some hand tools and determination, so I was looking into a particular classic car. The price range was $3k-40k if it was mint. Now the low end for a rolling chassis is $40k up to $????????K.

I should have got a few classic service rifles back when they were $20 bucks at the gun show. This is probably going to piss off some people, but nowadays some rando youtuber's heralding an $800 "low end beginners Mauser" (according to him) as a worthy purchase? I just spent $800 on a high speed AR build. Aint no way I'm spending $800 on something that is only worth $10-20 bucks.

Mint? Matching serial? Ok, historical and collector value, but just a random "low end" variant? I don't think so. I just wanted a functional piece of history, as a tool, something practical and useful. Not like some dainty thing that costs way above it's actual value.

Military Rifle Journal
Back