Third Party Press

BYF44 P.38 - Rework?

Oldnrth

I came across this BYf44 locally, guy is asking $900 on it which is too high in my opinion so I won’t be picking it up. The pictures he sent are what interested me the most. The slide had the serial’s stamped out and the serial added (no alpha) to match the rest of the gun (force matched) the bluing looks “off” as well and no paint on the “F/S” selector so it’s definitely been refinished. Still has the dirty birds and no importer mark, is this an East German re-work or could this have been wartime?

b1f8201730a28817f821d113ca9b2d43.jpg

57f6b274664cca12b29c9e4a481ec652.jpg

634d0e7f579d973bc759b628a7993a70.jpg

29e2db893d5c8cdaa74c23a3e6d6e1a2.jpg

8ebe90d7d645933257e3d1e8a69f4c49.jpg

a00958f7da78ea616efdced80c365304.jpg

278693c200c88369d720671bef7542af.jpg

350afb6d8f4e494ae148f323b3c9ecec.jpg

b66b732826dd259801337d4787c96ca3.jpg

db9b18a301321c0bfa1f2bd3f380efee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The frame is from a cyq, P38. See the e/88 next to the serial number on the frame... Post war rework...

The frame is from a cyq, P38. See the e/88 next to the serial number on the frame... Post war rework...

Sure enough, didn’t notice that. Yeah I offered him $500 to have a shooter again and you would’ve thought I killed his first born. “It’s a very valuable pistol” [emoji23]

Blued locking block, dead give away

Not always - I actually learned that earlier this year b/c I always went with the assumption of “no paint on F&S” & blued locking lug. McFarb I believe it was showed that some were in fact factory blued.

The better way to tell (when in hand) is checking the pins and internal springs.

Not always - I actually learned that earlier this year b/c I always went with the assumption of “no paint on F&S” & blued locking lug. McFarb I believe it was showed that some were in fact factory blued.

Many Spreewerkes had blued locking blocks. That is a fact.

What Ty said that is an important thing to remember when collecting P38 you got to break him down and check the internal parts.

Random question - I was just talking to an old timer here today. He was talking about some P.38s made by walther in 1942 that we’re experimental and made of a Zinc/steel mix specifically for the Kreigsmarine? Said it was done in the D block. I’ve never heard of such a thing

I have heard of early Dural framed P38s and I think that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
oldnrth

you like to contradict me, third time and all three times you were off base

glad you learned earlier about assumptions???

I was talking EAST GERMAN reworks, someone asked if it was possibly a east german re-work! The east germans typically did not blue the lugs, they were GENERALLY left them white, from the 100's east german P-38's I have handled and looked at over the past 30 yrs.

I did not feel the need to explain myself. The red and white is also missing from the east german reworks & czech P-38's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
oldnrth

you like to contradict me, third time and all three times you were off base

glad you learned earlier about assumptions???

I was talking EAST GERMAN reworks, someone asked if it was possibly a east german re-work! The east germans typically did not blue the lugs, they were GENERALLY left them white, from the 100's east german P-38's I have handled and looked at over the past 30 yrs.

I did not feel the need to explain myself. The red and white is also missing from the east german reworks & czech P-38's

Third times a charm? Haha - sorry, I guess I don’t remember the other two. Either way, thanks for your expertise!

Random question - I was just talking to an old timer here today. He was talking about some P.38s made by walther in 1942 that we’re experimental and made of a Zinc/steel mix specifically for the Kreigsmarine? Said it was done in the D block. I’ve never heard of such a thing
I can't say I've heard of any collector/researcher who has seen or heard of this. Walther attempted to use duralumin for commercial sales, but it was found to be not strong enough. Very few of these survived (<20). I have one, it's very light and you can easily feel the difference. Walther did use steel for their flare guns.

The P.38 is a very large gun. It didn't fit well in an airplane or a boat.

I’m wondering if your friend remembered incorrectly. Walther did use Zink to make flare guns through, but I suspect it wasn’t a Navy thing, but stories like that were common gun show lore back in the day. We (collectors) tended to exchange info and dress up the unknown with reasonable sounding explanations, like “black slings are SS” and stuff like that.

I’m wondering if your friend remembered incorrectly. Walther did use Zink to make flare guns through, but I suspect it wasn’t a Navy thing, but stories like that were common gun show lore back in the day. We (collectors) tended to exchange info and dress up the unknown with reasonable sounding explanations, like “black slings are SS” and stuff like that.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Said he remembered people talking about them in the late 80’s/early 90’s and that they booked for $3k then. I knew of the dural framed but I had never heard of a zinc P.38. Great guy, he’s just getting a little older and I think some memories are getting mixed... happens to the best of us ha

Military Rifle Journal
Back