Third Party Press

Rg34 G APPEL HKW UNUSUAL MARKINGS

pwcosol

Saw this HKW recently and cannot say I have ever seen the particular marking style on any G APPEL HKW. It appears to be a much larger font and possibly hand-applied (two photos with other components). If this is the case, and with a date of 1935, would make one suspect it might have preceded the introduction of the die-stamping typically seen. I have posted photos of two GA 1935 dated and one 1936 dated HKWs for comparison. In looking at the two examples with pins, I suspect the first example with early tool may be a pin-added (as might be the 1936 one as well). Don't know when GA began to apply solder to the underside of the pin for reinforcement. Thoughts welcome...

Attachments

• G APPEL 1935 HKW.jpg
    G APPEL 1935 HKW.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 36
  • G APPEL 1935 HKW 1.jpg
    G APPEL 1935 HKW 1.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 45
  • GA 1935 HKWs1.JPG
    GA 1935 HKWs1.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 50
  • GA 1935 HKW2.JPG
    GA 1935 HKW2.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 42
  • GA 1935 HKW3.JPG
    GA 1935 HKW3.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 41
  • GA 1935 HKWs4.JPG
    GA 1935 HKWs4.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 30
  • GA 1936 HKW1.JPG
    GA 1936 HKW1.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 33
  • GA 1936 HKW2.JPG
    GA 1936 HKW2.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 30
Very cool. Have never encountered this alternative style marking. Thanks for sharing .....

I have an Oiler marked with the same big style letters, and it’s 1935 dated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go, had to find it!

22038b8ecd31519aa624bffce0c9700a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...haven't seen "Der große G APPEL" on the oiler before either! Thanks for posting the pics. My expectation is this same marking may be on some tins as well, but don't think it would go far on the RGK...

Last edited:
I have seen these markings before and agree with pwcosol, the "Große G.APPEL" markings precede the standard small die-stamping style. In my opinion, these pieces are rightful parts made in early 1935 and are very close to the parts found into the early Reinigunsgerät of the year 1934, of which there is practically no information. With regard to the Reinigungskette, there are also some early G.Appel chains of 1935 with markings of the big style letters (sorry, I have no photos at hand now).

Antoni

Here photos of an unmodified early chain made by Gustav Appel.
"G.Appel 1935" marked with lowercase and bigger fonts compared to later markings using smaller capital letters. No Waffenamt present.

Antoni

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 28
Here photos of an unmodified early chain made by Gustav Appel.
"G.Appel 1935" marked with lowercase and bigger fonts compared to later markings using smaller capital letters. No Waffenamt present.
Antoni

Thank you Antoni for photos of "the missing link" as it were. Now I have seen all three major components so marked. I noted the RGK has blued hooks. So, would it be correct to say the earliest G. Appel RGKs (hooks) & HKWs were both blued finish until discontinued and left "in the white"? Since MUNDLOS & HAWIG kits have blued RGK "hooks" as well, have seen so few examples don't know if they remained blued finish until the pattern was discontinued, or reverted to finish "in white" like G. Apple. That leaves manufacturer KH. I know they produced the first pattern HKW, but never observed a first pattern RGK attributed to them (but perhaps one or two that might have been modified to the second pattern)...

A friend just sent me these photos of the large G APPEL marking on the tin lid. Note unit marking on the opposite side. In addition, color of the metal has turned very dark...have seen a few tinned kits turn this way...

Attachments

• Gross G APPEL 1.jpg
    Gross G APPEL 1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Gross G APPEL 2.jpg
    Gross G APPEL 2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 22
Some remaks...

Personally, I have observed too few examples from HKWs and RGKs of early manufacture to come to a conclusion, although it is possible that at the very early manufacturing some bluish finish were applied to these parts.

Regarding the finish of the tin cases, differences can be observed in the finish of the cases and it is very possible that there were modifications in the technique and/or the material applied on the pre war years also, taking into account the massive manufacture of Reinigungsgerät 34. Also, it seems that some type of lacquer or coat finish were aplied to the tin can at the end and differences may exist. The differences are more evident with the Gustav Appel firm, as he manufactured the Rg34 for the Wehrmacht and also to be sold commercially.

I enclose pictures of some G. Appel tinned boxes:
1. Two early "G.Appel" marked tin cases, note the differences on finish, the upper tin has a rough finish.
2. A side view of the two previous cans, the differences in finish are evident.
3. An early commercial "G.APPEL" lid similar as the shown by pwcosol.
4. The "G.APPEL" commercial tin at left compared with a military "G.Appel 1935" tin at right. Note that the last one shows a plated colour versus the greyish colour of the commercial one.

Antoni

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 20
Antoni:

Thank you for the additional photos. I have noticed some G. Apple tins (non-painted) with a rougher texture as you mentioned. Some feel almost as if the metal was lightly sand-blasted. Perhaps some of these changes took place when the exterior of the case was no longer covered in the silver tin finish. From the early photos, would it seem the sliver tin finish was not applied on the very first Rg34s? Possibly the silver-tinned finish was something specially applied to the military contract Rg34s, until discontinued ? My thought is the silver-tinned finish was too bright and reflective for use in the field or in actual combat situations.

Military Rifle Journal
Back