Third Party Press

Mp43/1

ryche

Anybody with any idea how much a non matching but complete MP43/1 kit with an xtra mp44 stripped barrel is worth these days?
I have heard alot of numbers thrown around and most have 3 zeros behind them starting with a 7, 8 or ,9.
Kit is in fairly good shape, old saw cut. barrel is populated but i think it was welded up at one point,and is most likely a MP44.
its been laying around for YEARS....
Ryche

ok after double checking the barrel is not matched but does have the long muzzle nut. I believe that is indicative of the 43 and 43/1.
If i am incorrect please say so. And other than some smoothed what looks like old weld marks on the breach face the barrel is nice.
the bolt is matching but the carrier and stock are not. Hand guard and gas tube in good shape. Not much finish left but no major dents or dings.
Bolt and carrier are complete. Stock is complete but has a repair at the top round section behind the metal. there is 1 Phillips head screw on the inside
that i believe to be a very early prototype for the time ( LOLOLOL) The other is a round headed slot screw most likely not correct either.
The retainer pin is intact and in good shape. mainspring looks new. Stock might be MP44 i don't remember the size differences between them.
Grips are replacement wood but nicely done. No barrel pin. Rec. chunks show about maybe 50% finish remaining. All FCG parts appear to be there.
Rec. #474X c. Grip unit matches.
Ryche

Pics to follow after the weekend when i can get my lovely wife's help. I am a computer NERF. I bounce off alot of things but rarely do damage:googlie

waiting on the pictures and yes those numbers are all in the ball park.

you will get more reactions once you post the pic's

History: There isn't much unfortunately, my father picked it up in a trade for a good price years ago. We got it i think as mostly spare parts for the MP-44. Now there is a story with some history, lolol.
The MP-44 was sold a couple of years ago due to finance problems when my father passed away. It hurt alot to have to sell it but we needed to keep the house we bought 6 months earlier. I was my fathers caretaker and no way we could afford it with out his income. Anyway the kit laid around in a box until i noticed the thread discussing desires and prices. So now its out for all to see.:thumbsup:
The previously mentioned MP44 was bought by my father and two friends back in the early 60's for $16. Yes $16, when it was his turn to have it for the weekend, he was upset that the bolt wouldn't lock due to a ball bearing shoved in the chamber and hit with a torch. AAHHH the old dewat days... upon getting the barrel out of the rifle he attempted to grind off the top of the bearing at which point
it fell out. The breachface was cleaned up and dad found some ammo for it and found that it worked. He bought out his two friends and it was reg. in 68. It lived in my grandmothers attic for 2 years while he was in Viet Nam and stayed there while we were in Germany for the next 8 years. by 1982 when we got back from Germany, i was introduced to and fell in love with it.
SO there is the more interesting story about the 44.
Ryche

i believe i'm putting it up for sale. i have a few other projects that want money as well as a P.M. with interest. Maxim parts ain't cheep lolol. Also working on a semi MAT-49 that's going to require money. My father had one in Viet Nam and always regretted losing it. unfortunately i didn't find enough parts till after his passing, but still want to complete the project.
Not sure if i need to list it in the trader thread? I believe mostpeople had a WTB there as well.
Ryche

Just a FYI the barrel may be from this receiver. That number is not a serial number but is a barrel lot number. You see them on most Mp43/1 barrels. Only the early a block MP43/1s had serial numbers and they were further up the barrel past the gas block. I have a matching MP43/1 a block that has the barrel serial matching and it also has that other number on the barrel further down. So I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion it is mismatched barrel. Mp43/1 barrels are kinda hard to come by so the odds of someone finding an original replacement are low

Sen: Thanks for the heads up, always assumed it was a serial. The weld marks on the barrel and front of the rec. match up so I believe its been with it along time, so most likely orig. When we got the kit the barrel had been removed and cleaned up as well as the rec. face, thus no barrel pin...:googlie
Always appreciate new info,,, sometimes i'm not as well versed as i think i am:thumbsup:
Ryche

No problem. Here’s a couple pics. You can see the barrel lot number and the serial number is the small one near the front of the barrel. Like I said, i think only a block and early b block serial Mp43/1 serialized the barrel like this and then no serials. Sturmgewehr (Mp43/ Mp44/Stg44)barrels are not serialized except these very early ones. But every Mp43/1 barrel I’ve ever seen has this secondary number that I think the consensus is, are barrel lot number. Anyhow, good luck on your sale.

Attachments

• 41D7E038-AF2E-45A0-A48F-905EE6D8B977.jpeg
    41D7E038-AF2E-45A0-A48F-905EE6D8B977.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 7BEDE45F-FD99-4435-8F59-E7D6366C709A.jpeg
    7BEDE45F-FD99-4435-8F59-E7D6366C709A.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 46
Another thing to note. I believe the barrel definitely came from your receiver and while the bolt and receiver match, the carrier is from an Erma instead of Haneal rifle. The stock looks like a “b” block so while the furrel on the stock doesn’t serial match, that would’ve come from another Mp43/1. Overall, while not a matching kit, I think it’s still pretty desirable especially bolt receiver lower matches and it’s a rarer beast as a Mp43/1. The market is a little weird though about value associated to the rarity though. From some reason (I think it’s just a general public’s lack of knowledge) a lot of people don’t know this and only see another Mp44 parts kit. Still, these are very coveted in most forms especially with an undamged front trunion.

Hey Sen: Thanks for the up dated info, this just gets better. I am really hoping i didn't do something stupid and mix up the bolt carrier with the MP44 i had to sell a couple of years ago, that would have been really stupid.
I will have to check the old auction listing and see if they mentioned a missmatching carrier. Its highly possible i did as i was under a lot of stress at the time with my fathers passing:faint:
With you and some recent looking i have learned alot more about the 43/1 than i ever knew.
Appreciate the help.
Ryche

Just a heads up: The spare mp44 barrel and rusted up gas tube are gone. Had a couple of exchanges with some others but it looks like we are headed for broker. Sorry if i broke anyone's heart. Mine hurts to get rid of it, but it will solve alot of project issues for me. Gotta keep my Maxims and 34 running:biggrin1:
Thanks to all who checked in with info on this piece.
Ryche

I’d watch this one, technically a better kit in the matching department

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/875594420

But did you read that description this is $8,000 kit all day long!

Man Up to the Plate, Put on your Big Boy Pants and GET IT WHILE YOU CAN. Well folks If your like myself, I ABSOLUTELY Enjoy WWII Battlefield Pick-Up’s so much!!......... I stay on the HUNT EVERYDAY for them and It’s the ONLY Thing I Will Collect. This is one of the COOLEST Finds EVER and it’s EXACTLY The Way it Came Home, FULLY UNTOUCHED, MINUS The Old Cuts of course and THAT’S IT. This was a TRUE USGI Bring Back Battlefield Pick-Up and Unfortunately had to be cut by one of my collectors back in the day. MIRROR 10+ Unbelievable MINTY Shiny Bore that’s NEVER Had a Plug in it at All the Metal was Coated in Collector Heavy Weight Oil all its years and This is a $8000.00++ Kit ALL DAY Long

Military Rifle Journal
Back