Third Party Press

BLM, duv 40 k98

matt5494

I'm new to this site but figured it would be a good place to start. I recently purchased a BLM K98 coded DUV 40. I knew I was buying a more rare K98 and wanted to see if anyone here could enlighten me on what I have....

I was doing a bit of research and as I understand BLM was using the 237 code then switched to DUV. When was this switch? Did they stop making K98's in 42 all together?

Id also find it interesting to have any or all production numbers in 40, 41, and 42 if possible related to BLM. I keep a file on each gun I purchase and some of this info plus more "fun facts" would be appreciated

MODEDIT: https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/873752460

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hate to tell you this but the rifle has alot of issues for that price tag. For one it's mismatched, the front sight base is cut for a sight hood that means it passed through a depot or was reworked, and the stock looks like it was chemically cleaned to me the patina doesn't match the metal patina.

It is a scarce code and an interesting rifle but over $2000 more then what it should have sold for.

Plus just read his description notice how he says the stock barrel bands and lug were serviced by a German field armorer and match each other but not to the overall rifle. Did you notice the stock bands are not BLM made but instead early Gustloff as well as the bayonet mounting lug and barrel band spring? And where is he getting the Afrika korp because the rifle is 1940 dated? Is there proof it was brought back from North Africa? Rommel’s Afrika Korp fought in some of the roughest conditions of the war which is why these rifles are so rare how does that have anything to do with this auction? I hate telling folks this but these are the facts.

I really hate to tell you this but the rifle has alot of issues for that price tag. For one it's mismatched, the front sight base is cut for a sight hood that means it passed through a depot or was reworked, and the stock looks like it was chemically cleaned to me the patina doesn't match the metal patina.

It is a scarce code and an interesting rifle but over $2000 more then what it should have sold for.

Interesting points, He had told me the front bands were reworked, out in the field I’m assuming? Could you go into some more detail about the sight issue? I wouldn’t know about the stock being chemically cleaned, the stamps and what not looked good, not sanded or messed with so it didn’t even cross my mind.

Plus just read his description notice how he says the stock barrel bands and lug were serviced by a German field armorer and match each other but not to the overall rifle. Did you notice the stock bands are not BLM made but instead early Gustloff as well as the bayonet mounting lug and barrel band spring? And where is he getting the Afrika korp because the rifle is 1940 dated? Is there proof it was brought back from North Africa? Rommel’s Afrika Korp fought in some of the roughest conditions of the war which is why these rifles are so rare how does that have anything to do with this auction? I hate telling folks this but these are the facts.

I didn’t buy this because of the story, I’m not convinced either. He said that Vet he got it from brought back from Italy, apparently these German forces retreated back from Africa. I bought, what I thought was a nearly all matching gun (I didn’t think the bands were that big of a deal) In pretty good shape. First buy, what can I tell ya

Last edited:
These German forces? The soldier that rifle could have been issued to could have been serving in France and was shipped off to Italy as a replacement to that unit. Unless there was paperwork from the vet saying he brought it back from seeing service in Africa. That would be a legit Afrika Korp captured rifle.

The only ones we have seen that we believe were captured from the Afrika Korp. Are the ones marked by the Commonwealth forces with the AA broad arrow. We believe that is for the Alexandria Arsenal depot, in Egypt.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?197-duv-40-Commonealth-capture

These German forces? The soldier that rifle could have been issued to could have been serving in France and was shipped off to Italy as a replacement to that unit. Unless there was paperwork from the vet saying he brought it back from seeing service in Africa. That would be a legit Afrika Korp captured rifle.

The only ones we have seen that we believe were captured from the Afrika Korp. Are the ones marked by the Commonwealth forces with the AA broad arrow. We believe that is for the Alexandria Arsenal depot, in Egypt.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?197-duv-40-Commonealth-capture

Its a good question, I dont think we'll ever know, & I wouldn't feel right taking his word and parading around saying its Afrika corp capture, so we'll chalk it up as hear say until proven otherwise.

And to answer you question on BLM production they stopped making K98k rifles late in 1942 to focus on production for the G41 rifle and later the G/K43 rifle.

Dug up the email he sent to me when asked about its history....might grab a copy of this text and see if I can verify this

The rifle was brought back by a vet from the 45th ID. I bought the rifle from his daughter and she told me about her dad's service. When I researched the records for the rifle made by Berlin Luckbeck, the records showed that the duv 1940 rifles were issued to the Afrika Korp. This is documented in the Berlin Lubeck manufacturing records and documented in Bruce Karem and Michaels Steves Karabiner 98k trilogy. The only duv 40 bringback's recorded were subsequently from solider sin the Afrika Korp. The Afrika Korp soldiers who survived were pulled back to defend Sicily. The 45th went into Sicily and that's where she said her dad took the rifle off a dead German soldier along with his insignia, a cap and some photos. He had given the other items away before he passed and kept the rifle which she inherited. I've had it in my collection and am trimming down a bit and hoping to see if go to a good home.

Compare these photos to your markings.

Now take a closer look at your stock proofs they almost like they have been wiped by something and left a residue in the proofs. Their not sharp like they should be.

And another thing do you notice your rifle has four stock proofs and not three. There is your depot stamp.

Attachments

• BLM 237 1939 (3).jpg
    BLM 237 1939 (3).jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 52
  • BLM 237 1939 (26).jpg
    BLM 237 1939 (26).jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 54
  • pix512454932.jpg
    pix512454932.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 60
The mount numbering is fake to match the rifle. Font is wrong, application is wrong, and it should all 4 digits of the serial number. Not just the last 3. Plus the stock is heavily sanded which really kills the value, IMO.

If you can still return it then I would highly recommend it.

Dug up the email he sent to me when asked about its history....might grab a copy of this text and see if I can verify this

The rifle was brought back by a vet from the 45th ID. I bought the rifle from his daughter and she told me about her dad's service. When I researched the records for the rifle made by Berlin Luckbeck, the records showed that the duv 1940 rifles were issued to the Afrika Korp. This is documented in the Berlin Lubeck manufacturing records and documented in Bruce Karem and Michaels Steves Karabiner 98k trilogy. The only duv 40 bringback's recorded were subsequently from solider sin the Afrika Korp. The Afrika Korp soldiers who survived were pulled back to defend Sicily. The 45th went into Sicily and that's where she said her dad took the rifle off a dead German soldier along with his insignia, a cap and some photos. He had given the other items away before he passed and kept the rifle which she inherited. I've had it in my collection and am trimming down a bit and hoping to see if go to a good home.

Also so much wrong with this information BLM did not contract 1940 production rifles to the Afrika Korp as a special production run. But it's H marked for Heer which means it was contracted out to the German Army. Who issued these rifles out and supplied the Wehrmacht.

Military Rifle Journal
Back