Third Party Press

ugly bnz45 Volkssturm rifle

Absolut

It really is ugly and either someone tried to remove the barrel once (but fortunately failed so), or whoever fitted the barrel was not good in doing what he has done .. either way, it finally was a Volkssturm rifle with a matching bolt, hence I thought I shouldn't pass on it and bought it, still not very happy with it.

Tough decision: keep it despite its condition, or sell it with knowing you won't find another one with matching numbers that soon?

Edit: uploaded now ALL pictures to the starting post, for a better reference.

Attachments

• bnz45_01.jpg
    bnz45_01.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 256
  • bnz45_02.jpg
    bnz45_02.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 218
  • bnz45_03.jpg
    bnz45_03.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 236
  • bnz45_04.jpg
    bnz45_04.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 232
  • bnz45_05.jpg
    bnz45_05.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 221
  • bnz45_06.jpg
    bnz45_06.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 34
  • bnz45_07.jpg
    bnz45_07.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 35
  • bnz45_08.jpg
    bnz45_08.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I would say keep it, because no matter how ugly it may be, it IS a legit and rare piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

another bubba I am going to restore this. ugly pipe wrench markings

as rare as these are I would keep till a better one come along

It's a great wall hanger and conversation piece for someone who collects "Last Ditch" stuff. If that's not you, then sell it and put the money towards something really nice that you'll enjoy.:happy0180:
Bubba should really have his butt kicked for screwing with this one!:faint:
Can you include a photo of the right side. This one is cool enough to go in the reference index.

Last edited:
Ugly is a relative term. Compared to your dream Volksstrum rifle, yes it is ugly. Compared to no Volksstrum rifle, at least its a rifle. Its still a rarity that I'd hold onto if you are seeking out a better example.

It's a great wall hanger and conversation piece for someone who collects "Last Ditch" stuff. If that's not you, then sell it and put the money towards something really nice that you'll enjoy.:happy0180:
Bubba should really have his butt kicked for screwing with this one!:faint:
Can you include a photo of the right side. This one is cool enough to go in the reference index.

Agree with all the above but Jesus I thought the same thing about the perp. Keep your dickbeaters off the rare ones.

It really is ugly and either someone tried to remove the barrel once (but fortunately failed so), or whoever fitted the barrel was not good in doing what he has done .. either way, it finally was a Volkssturm rifle with a matching bolt, hence I thought I shouldn't pass on it and bought it, still not very happy with it.

Tough decision: keep it despite its condition, or sell it with knowing you won't find another one with matching numbers that soon?

Hey Absolut, How about a few more pics. of this beautifully ugly thing. You left out the whole right side and the floorplate etc.?:happy0180:

Yes, will do .. sorry, was a bit in a hurry and forgot to turn it around. More items to come in next few months, too little time for the hobby. You'll love what will come, at least I do! I promise to update that post, if I have not done in a week please remind me again.

Thanks for the kind replies. I'm still a bit torn .. on the one hand it is matching, on the other hand .. maybe I should ask a friend to fix that vise marks? He at least wouldn't make it worse. But would that enhace its value or is it anyway already of limited value?

Well, you beat me to it ... !

Attachments

• bnz45_06.jpg
    bnz45_06.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 64
  • bnz45_07.jpg
    bnz45_07.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 80
Standard bent bolt, and fully machined gas shroud. A bit different from usual late Steyr production, especially a vk.

Keep it you’ll never get anther one. Also it’s a combat rifle at the end of the day not a Swiss watch. Not ideal but still awesome.

Standard bent bolt, and fully machined gas shroud. A bit different from usual late Steyr production, especially a vk.

Bolt is late, round gas escape holes and only the locking lugs at the front. And as others have pointed out, it is a Steyr stock, note the shallow bolt handle cutout.

I somehow have once again missed to picture the magazine floorplate. If some are interested I'll also post pictures of that one. Too little time for a great hobby currently.

Thanks Absolut for taking the time! I would love to see pics. of the floorplate and TG markings. I'm also curious about markings and numbers on the firing pin, cocking piece and shroud. The bolt and safety look pretty standard, although markings on the bottom and back of the bolt root would also be nice to know. Throwing this question out to the guys. Do these exist with a "C" stock?

Military Rifle Journal
Back