Third Party Press

Would a Mauser rifle stamped STANDARD-MODELL 1924 BE military or civilian?

gwozdz

When in complete rifle configuration, would a Mauser rifle stamped on the side with STANDARD-MODELL 1924 BE military or civilian or both. On the top of the receiver is stamped with the Mauser banner over 1933. What might the value of just the stripped receiver only with such markings in good condition?

When in complete rifle configuration, would a Mauser rifle stamped on the side with STANDARD-MODELL 1924 BE military or civilian or both. On the top of the receiver is stamped with the Mauser banner over 1933. What might the value of just the stripped receiver only with such markings in good condition?

This would most likely been used initially for export or for the Postschutz (Postal Protection Police). If it's in NRA good condition, which is usually pretty bad, $100 to $150:happy0180:

You say Mauser/1933 and the SR is S-M 1924? What is the serial, - generally B-prefix below 38000 are rare (rarely seen). Many of those seen are B20000-29000 to Ethiopia which some say are diversions from shipments slated to China where most early production went. We (thanks to Jon Speed) know general production, domestic and export figures, more is probably in his Mauser Archive, which I do not have the time to dig through at the moment... basically piddly numbers were made and sold 1930-1932, almost all for export (probably China); late 1932-1936 production soared, increasingly for domestic consumption, especially by 1934. Still tens of thousands were sold, many to Ethiopia, but most probably to China, some probably to South America, Chile had a large contract with Mauser, but it fell apart and some rifles are thought to have gone to other SA countries.

This is a very complex subject and probably (unless Jon wants to comment) best answered by searches on TP's Gunboards-Mauser, John Wall and Jon Speed and others have done considerable work on the subject. Much of it bantered about on Gunboards...

While my interest are military, I do follow SM variations and S-M 1924 siderails and 1933 dated are not common, only three recorded:

1933 MauserBanner 27865 SM1924
1933 MauserBanner 36931 SM1924 SM conf. Koblenz (98k Prop book)
1933 MauserBanner 45365 SM1924 (Chinese markings on stock)

There are many oddballs, queers and one offs with almost unique features, no telling the story of these, needless to say trying to explain it all... Jon Speed is probably the only one alive that could do it, but even still, so much is lost and 1929-1936 Germany was not the most transparent country in the world (though no government is transparent, the more authoritarian the least they are..) I doubt anyone could really sort it out completely.

You say Mauser/1933 and the SR is S-M 1924? What is the serial, - generally B-prefix below 38000 are rare (rarely seen). Many of those seen are B20000-29000 to Ethiopia which some say are diversions from shipments slated to China where most early production went. We (thanks to Jon Speed) know general production, domestic and export figures, more is probably in his Mauser Archive, which I do not have the time to dig through at the moment... basically piddly numbers were made and sold 1930-1932, almost all for export (probably China); late 1932-1936 production soared, increasingly for domestic consumption, especially by 1934. Still tens of thousands were sold, many to Ethiopia, but most probably to China, some probably to South America, Chile had a large contract with Mauser, but it fell apart and some rifles are thought to have gone to other SA countries.

This is a very complex subject and probably (unless Jon wants to comment) best answered by searches on TP's Gunboards-Mauser, John Wall and Jon Speed and others have done considerable work on the subject. Much of it bantered about on Gunboards...

While my interest are military, I do follow SM variations and S-M 1924 siderails and 1933 dated are not common, only three recorded:

1933 MauserBanner 27865 SM1924
1933 MauserBanner 36931 SM1924 SM conf. Koblenz (98k Prop book)
1933 MauserBanner 45365 SM1924 (Chinese markings on stock)

There are many oddballs, queers and one offs with almost unique features, no telling the story of these, needless to say trying to explain it all... Jon Speed is probably the only one alive that could do it, but even still, so much is lost and 1929-1936 Germany was not the most transparent country in the world (though no government is transparent, the more authoritarian the least they are..) I doubt anyone could really sort it out completely.

Loewe,
You can add SN# 50617, Mauser Banner over 1933, sidewall Standard-Modell 1924.
This one was from the Late John Wall collection, he and I were sharing data on SMs for an
article he was working on when he passed away.

Both a 1933 and a 1934 dated, SM-1924 siderail marked rifles sold on GB earlier this past April, I was traveling at the time and missed out on
both of them. I think one went to a member here. The 1933 was matching, the other a bolt mismatch. I had the data from both recorded from
the auctions, but when I upgraded to Mac OS Catalina, I lost all my saved documents.

I also have an early blank sidewall SM, SN 16393, but I think you already have the data on that one.

Last edited:
Thanks, Frank, I will add your reports to the trends. I do not actively search for S-M these days, but for a time I did and made a trends sheet for them, as you know many are basically barreled receivers and often it is difficult to tell where they fall into things... I have to admit though that they are a very interesting variation(s) and it could keep someone busy trying to figure it all out. Bruce has done a lot of work on the subject too, in his book and before, but am not sure how much he spent on the export elements of the variation. AND the export element is the least well understood imo. The survival rates are so low, certainly in upper grades, that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to make an accurate study of the subject. I would think most found there way to China, probably to the Nationalist who were German trained and armed (Seeckt) and quite a fascinating subject on its own.

Jon Speed comments

"Anyway, I saw your talks on 98k site on standard models and one bit of data I worked out for John Wall was that at least 25 countries made requests to Mauser for this model. John was surprised when he learned Yemen and Afganistan placed some orders. Both these lands were occupied by British back in those days. China was by far the main buyer etc."

Jon Speed saw the thread and offered the above comment, he said he did not save all the research he conducted with John Wall on this subject. Obviously to reconstruct the research would be a challenging task and very time consuming. It seems that unless a rifle has some identifiable features all one can do is guess.

Military Rifle Journal
Back