Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latvian Police Btl Officers Soldbuch

Senior Member Guillaume d'Orange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter U View Post
    The crimes of the Latvian militias, like those of the "18 lettisches schutzmannschafts bataillon" is something they want to forget in Latvia, with good reason because it is a serieus stain on their reputation.
    Why especially the Latvians were so brutal is something historians haven't been able to answer. Anti communist feelings alone aren't enough to explain the cruelty they committed, for example the 22nd Latvian Btl aided the Germans with their mass murder operations in the death camp of Treblinka.
    It also known that this type of units attract the lowest of the low, Egon Erzum, their CO is a good example, before he joined the German Police he already had committed fraud.

All these documents, including both Soldbucher with the different birthday in them, were once together when they came on the collectors market and there is no doubt that they came from his personel archive; it is indeed odd that he didn't destroy those ID booklets that linked him with the warcrimes of his unit, most likely like mfarb already wrote because of his narcism.

It was only after the investigating journalist of "Der Spiegel" outed him that the German prosecutors sprung in to action, in 1967 a case against him for multiple murders was opened, alas it never came to a trial or a conviction.
    But what does surprise me is that even today in 2020 when you go to the website of the Bavarian parliament you can find his fake curriculum vitae with fake law PhD, despite that it has been proven that it is false and top of that that he has been convicted in 1965 for it:
    https://www.bayern.landtag.de/abgeor...il/egon-erzum/
    This isn't some Neo-Nazi fan website.
    The biggest lure of a crime is thinking you can get away with it.

As you may know, there were plenty of people with law degrees in OKW or RSHA and they probably thought that with the USSR having repudiated treaties signed by Imperial Russia (including the Hague conventions of 1899 and 1907), it could be war with no holds barred.
    In the end, the Charter of the IMT made sure that what would not be considered war crimes would be crimes against humanity : https://avalon.law.yale.edu/imt/judlawre.asp

Many members of the Schutzmannschaft and their SS masters got away with their crimes nevertheless and Egon Erzum is a perfect example. I'm not surprised that he was already morally dubious before 1940, his next job obviously didn't make him any better.

Narcissistic wound: perhaps coming from his early life in a country ruled by "untermenschen" ethnic Latvians who won over Baltic Germans (eine ganze welt gegen uns). A bit like so many Germans raised in the Dolchstosslegende and feeling humiliated by the Treaty of Versailles.

Bavarian authorities (incl. HDGB) shall definitely add comments/footnotes to his CV.

I didn’t even need to read to the end to know that he got away with it. The German government knew who he was for ten years, and they only managed to fine him for faking a degree. Typical German war crime “efficiency.”
    Actually I am the master of REAL information! Cartoon characters like you have no real arguments.
    - ShooterIke at gunboards

Great information Peter well done. And yes it's sad to see a very evil man escape justice at the end of the war.

By the way the barn being burned with the villagers inside. I remember seeing the Russian film "Come and See" years ago. There is a big part in the film where that same thing happens to a village full of people. I wonder if the film and that scene were based off this man and his unit.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Senior Member Guillaume d'Orange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    Great information Peter well done. And yes it's sad to see a very evil man escape justice at the end of the war.

By the way the barn being burned with the villagers inside. I remember seeing the Russian film "Come and See" years ago. There is a big part in the film where that same thing happens to a village full of people. I wonder if the film and that scene were based off this man and his unit.
    This Wikipedia article mentions 5,295 burnt villages in Belarus alone (no footnote about the source): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khatyn_massacre
    "Come and See" is set in Belarus, it was particularly hit. Scorched earth policy was unfortunately quite common. Erzum and his battalion are the tip of the iceberg.

Very fascinating, if not chilling documents! I suspect a lot of these "lesser monsters" were able to slip through the cracks with the immediate focus being on the Germans who committed atrocities. An old friend of mine had a neighbor named John Demjanjuk, aka reputedly "Ivan the Terrible". I recently saw the Netflix special series on him "The Devil Next Door".

I recently got a police Soldbuch from the Polizei Begleit Bataillon Steiermark. When I get time to research him I’ll post it. They were Himmlers personal police guard unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Default Super

Great job again...Amazing story and interesting how items got back together.

Really interesting. I'm starting to get that Soldbuch fever Farb has... might have to start collecting them. Wheres the Soldbuch book Farb?!

That was interesting thanks for sharing Peter.