Third Party Press

Turd Alert: byf44 ZF41 from one of our favorite GB sellers

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
I am surprised that our enterprising Mauser1937 has not opted out of this prize lemon.
I guess he needs to go back to school.

Couple of tidbits:

1. Renumbered bolt, albeit poorly
2. Added ZF41 scope base
3. "Number matched" scope mount with completely wrong font and style
4. Wrong stock routing for ZF41

This prized jem can be yours for a piddling 4600.00!

I would bet that this started out as a bolt MM but some opportunist decided to "enhance" it.

http://https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874801298

Attachments

• pix053794123.jpg
    pix053794123.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 131
  • pix414210338.jpg
    pix414210338.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 139
  • web page.jpg
    web page.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 144
Damn... Was just about to sell my car to bid on it...

Where do these sellers constantly find these rifles to post up for auction? Coming from collecting English rifles, it Amazes me how many of these “original” rifles are out there. Almost makes me want to go back...

Does anyone ever bid on his stuff ?
Always crazy starting prices
:facepalm:

Oh yes, usually the same people who attempt to refill their turn signal fluid annually. Mauser 1937 has created a market for the uninformed and/or negligent “collector”. I suppose it’s pretty easy to collect in that sense, without any research or anything stupid like that.....

the chum bait price should be the first clue...if that a-hole thought it was real it would be twice that price.. He either got screwed and now is dumping or I'm assuming he knows its bad and is chumming.

Is this correct for a front barrel band? It looks like a milled band with a weld seam on the bottom like the stamped sheet metal bands. Or is this legit?

Attachments

• milled.JPG
    milled.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 31
  • top.JPG
    top.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 34
  • weld.JPG
    weld.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 34
the chum bait price should be the first clue...if that a-hole thought it was real it would be twice that price.. He either got screwed and now is dumping or I'm assuming he knows its bad and is chumming.

I agree. He would be asking $15,000.

I agree. He would be asking $15,000.

Oh at LEAST Ham! :googlie

As for his 'bidders' or 'buyers' you can see patterns of some of the same characters that show up and bid often. I believe these bidders believe all his hype and stories without exception and bid hard on his auctions because he's such a legit seller with such amazing feedback. Happens with lots of other high-end/high-volume sellers. They all have their fanbois who follow every item posted.

HM, IMHO, much of what we see is shill bidding. When someone with a 3 feedback with a two month old account has previously won things like a $11 knife sharpener and a $9 AR magazine, then they put in 10 bids up to $11,000 on a humped up K98k sniper........:googlie If every one of these high profile Gunbonker dealers had a finger cut off for each instance of shill bidding they engaged in there wouldn’t be enough fingers between all of them to play chopsticks on a piano.

I think it's funny when you've seen no feedback bidders that have been members on GunBroker for 5 years but they're trying to bid on items to $10,000.

A lot of folks don't realize shill bidding is an illegal practice according to 2019 from I saw. I've noticed people try to do that stunt on eBay. Certain bidders that have been outbid have actually trace the IP addresses of the shills and it comes back as the owner of the account the selling item. From what I have read they can face several expensive fines as a business.

Shill bidding is illegal and a crime that is punishable by fines and jail time. Most states have different laws concerning shill bidding.... so I can't speak to specific state's laws. But, Since a lot of auctions are online and financial transactions are intrastate it's wire fraud a federal crime. It's also considered bid fixing and price rigging, also fraud.

The problem is you've gotta be smart enough to know you've been had.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Any cases where this has been followed through legally? I've never heard of someone going away for GunBroker shenanigans.

HM, IMHO, much of what we see is shill bidding. When someone with a 3 feedback with a two month old account has previously won things like a $11 knife sharpener and a $9 AR magazine, then they put in 10 bids up to $11,000 on a humped up K98k sniper........:googlie If every one of these high profile Gunbonker dealers had a finger cut off for each instance of shill bidding they engaged in there wouldn’t be enough fingers between all of them to play chopsticks on a piano.

It’s clearly shill bidding and I’m surprised that people who engage in auctions aren’t aware of it. I feel that it’s a lot more common than many realize. It creates fake buzz and fake interest in a bad item, which helps convince the one getting duped that everything is legit and the item is desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s clearly shill bidding and I’m surprised that people who engage in auctions aren’t aware of it. I feel that it’s a lot more common than many realize. It creates fake buzz and fake interest in a bad item, which helps convince the one getting duped that everything is legit and the item is desirable.

Yep, it also fraudulently and artificially inflates prices. People believe those sales then believe their _______ is "worth $3,900, one just like mine sold for that on Gunbonker!" Same with these dealers who manipulate prices, "sales", and play games. They make extreme short term profits and then sh!t on us and our hobby.

Yep, it also fraudulently and artificially inflates prices. People believe those sales then believe their _______ is "worth $3,900, one just like mine sold for that on Gunbonker!" Same with these dealers who manipulate prices, "sales", and play games. They make extreme short term profits and then sh!t on us and our hobby.

Absolutely, could not have said it better myself! Additionally, pricing even marginal guns out of reach helps none of us. The new collector gets scared off and/or burned and WE too have to pay premium prices for common rifles.

Military Rifle Journal
Back