Third Party Press

1918 WMO Turkish Gewehr 98

ltong29

Recently acquired a 1918 WMO Gew 98 bolt m/m rifle. Serial is 4403a, so early 1918 production. Receiver has the Turkish crescent above the crest but the receiver is still in the white. I've read that receiver bluing began in 1918, so is this correct? All the parts are numbered to the rifle and still have Imperial German inspections on them.

TuwxcEBh.jpg

EP4Z3Mbh.jpg

QAQxdm7h.jpg

PCzsoTAh.jpg

SaiCp8xh.jpg

NSfMxbEh.jpg

ARNzqGvh.jpg

b6TOIawh.jpg

KCPbQtAh.jpg

aDxxg8Xh.jpg

Last edited:
Blued receivers began appearing in 1918 but it was dependent on the manufacturer like all production changes. That being said, a gun this early would have unequivocally been in in the white. WMO is a bit of a tough case because so may examples were either, 1. part of the Turkish contract and were actually received by the Ottoman Empire. 2. Sold to Turkey or other third party nations after WWI. It's pretty clear that the Turks blued some of these post war as well. Paul would know if any legitimate examples of factory blued 1918 WMOs exist, he's the expert on these.

I see it has an import mark, does it list the country? While it bears Ottoman Acceptance, it's pretty damn nice and doesn't have the usual Turkish prefix to the serial number. It wouldn't surprise me if this one never made it to Turkey as most didn't.

Great rifle, I agree with mauser1908, it's uncharacteristically nice for a Turk rifle. Great find! My Turk 1918 is a beater!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The two 1918 Gew-98's I have are in very good condition . All matching except the bolt , and only the half moon stamp . They both appear to be from the post war shipment that went to Turkey through the Swiss .

Very interesting, thanks for the feedback! Is it known if the crescent was applied at the WMO factory, via the Swiss, or if the Ottomans themselves applied it?

Very interesting, thanks for the feedback! Is it known if the crescent was applied at the WMO factory, via the Swiss, or if the Ottomans themselves applied it?
If Gew88s are any indication they may have been marked by the Germans.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I can't say I know when the bluing began with WMO, one would need an indisputable "Imperial" rifle featuring the trait. The last pure Imperial German WMO/18's are in the f-block, 3 of them, beyond the f-block they are either Republican, Turk or problem rifles... WMO/18 production is confirmed through the q-block, with a report in the r-block but WMO/18's after the g-block are elusive (or at least I haven't seen many - up to the f-block each block has one to two dozen reports, after that it diminishes to two or three per block - I think most WMO/18's that avoided Turkey were destoyed by the German authorities working with the IAMCC, - or more likely before they arrived as Germany declared huge numbers destroyed before they arrived and the IAMCC accepted most of the declarations, probably based upon records or facts, - not too many Germans at the time were eager to be militarists, especially industrial workers... )

I also agree (and wrote an article that should be on Gewehr98.com) that the crescents were applied in Germany, primarily because several have been discovered with Republican era work. These probably enroute and returned due to disintegration of the Balkan front (September Bulgaria collapsed); anyway, some crescent WMO/18's are known reworked by Republican Germany.

Regarding this rifle, possibly someone removed the blue on the receiver, generally unblued receivers do not have blackened letters. Four WMO/18 a-blocks which are also Turks have blued receivers and are like this one pretty much total matchers (at least so far as shown - including stocks which all are sanded but match)

Small matter either way, pretty nice for a rifle that went to Turkey. BC was helpful, especially the acceptance (C/K) which seems consistent late 1917-1918.

Military Rifle Journal
Back