Third Party Press

Thread: Walther Sportmodell V

Default Walther Sportmodell V

Recently visited a gunsmith where I've not been for a longer time. Found two rifles for my collection and asked him if he has any other stuff too. After chatting for five minutes he remembered one he pulled out from behind boxes in his store. Turned out it was a lovely Walther Sportmodell V rifle in what appears untouched and very nice condition, he priced it fairly so I took it home with me as well. At first I was a bit thrown off for the rear barrel band and the trigger guard having holes for swivels, as well as the trigger guard not being metal. When I looked up in Simpson's .22 book on German rifles it turned out this is correct for this series!

Nothing really special about it, but these are in my opinion one of the cooler training rifles for having the 11mm dovetail on the receiver that allows mounting a scope on them very easy. Since I anyway took a few pictures of it when I got it, I thought I would share them in here as well so that others might have a reference for future.

The markings were filled with a crayon by me, prior to taking the pics. Makes them better visible and can be removed very easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your rifle is not a Sportmodell V. Those were half-stocked sporting rifles of the Walther series that were the Sportmodell V/5, Meister and Meisterbüchse mit Olympiaschaft. Your rife is the Sportmodell, Walther's version of the DSM for commercial and contract sales. Some were bought by the Ordnungspolizei and marked wutg their acceptance stamp. I think there is a photo of mine in my chapter on Police Trainers in Simpson's book. Yours is missing the screw in false cleaning rod. Here is a link to an earlier thread with a few other examples.
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....ht=sportmodell
    Last edited by JoeW; 07-25-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Regarding the dovetail on the receiver, this is 11mm. However, the Walther "cut" is slightly different from the Mauser .22 grooved receiver rifles and they are not the same. In addition, whether a one-piece scope mount which bridges the receiver/ejection port or a two-piece set, the Walther mount(s) will have a higher "arch" on the underside, in order to clear the top of the wider (than Mauser) receiver. There was a guy in Britain whom made or offered alloy riser blocks on Ebay, to which different optic mounts could be affixed, for the Walther V/SM, etc.

You can find original Walter 1 piece mounts on eBay from time to time... just have to keep an eye out for them as they tend to sell quickly after being listed.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Sorry, of course it is "only" a Sportmodell and not a Sportmodell V. It reminded me too much of my Sportmodell V that unfortunately I once decided to sell, this must had slipped in my brain while typing this thread here.

I do have several 11mm mount scopes sitting around, will try if any of those will fit the rifle!

Default I’m jealous

Nice find, my friend.

I have been lusting for a DSM, Walther Sportmodell or KKW in nice condition like yours for a long time, but prices here have gotten above my pay grade!

Will be interested to hear how it shoots.

Jeff

Joe is correct. Walther Sports model only and it looks to be in overall decent shape. I know a guy who makes the stacking rod in this case it holds on the upper band.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolut View Post
    Sorry, of course it is "only" a Sportmodell and not a Sportmodell V. It reminded me too much of my Sportmodell V that unfortunately I once decided to sell, this must had slipped in my brain while typing this thread here.

I do have several 11mm mount scopes sitting around, will try if any of those will fit the rifle!
    I don't see any reason for you to be sorry and I didn't use the deprecating term "only" in my post. I think it wise to correctly identify posted rifles so as not to provide incorrect information to newbies who might be searching for answers. I've owned a few Walther Sportmodells over the years including a pair of consecutive numbered police issued examples.

Joe, I'm not a native speaker. I was happy for your correction since it had reminded me too much of a former rifle that I've had and therefore I mixed up the designations. I didn't intend to sound offended, if that was what you had understood! So all fine on my side.