Third Party Press

Thread: PPU 196gr FMJ vs PPU 200gr Match

Default PPU 198gr FMJ vs PPU 200gr Match

Probably about to buy a case of ammo for a G43 I bought from a fellow member here. With the shooters kit installed obviously, which would you buy?

Its only like a 5 dollar difference between the two so i'm pretty confused as to what "match" means in this situation.

Plan is to buy a bunch of brass, shoot it, then handload later.

Thanks!
    Last edited by abalducci; 07-30-2020 at 11:43 PM. Reason: 196gr to 198gr

Quote Originally Posted by abalducci View Post
    Probably about to buy a case of ammo for a G43 I bought from a fellow member here. With the shooters kit installed obviously, which would you buy?

Its only like a 5 dollar difference between the two so i'm pretty confused as to what "match" means in this situation.

Plan is to buy a bunch of brass, shoot it, then handload later.

Thanks!
    I don't like shooting heavy bullets in mine,only handloads,starting loads from the Lyman manual, with 150 gr bullets.Too worried braking things.

Mine has a set of new springs,stronger than the original ones,and the orifice in the shooter kit is .006,just large enough to cycle it and not beat it up with the risk of braking parts in an all matching rifle.

I fully agree with M1 using 150gr. I load with 150 for my shooters. IMR4064 44gr or 4895 (I have to look up the load, I think I was using 45) work well in these and do not beat them up. It does not have the punch perhaps of the original specification bullet but is just for a range day fun gun. They are capable of great accuracy with these loads and others may back it up.

I had a bad experience trying the commercial Privi, soft primers and a few slam fires so I steer clear. Others swear by it, this was just my experience. I did use some of the match stuff in a K98 and did not notice that much a difference between the two. The brass is good though. Just be aware the G/K will beat the heck out of the brass even with the kit and you may only get a couple of reloads off them.

Ok ill keep that in mind. I was planning on working up some lighter loads for it. 150gr seems to be the consensus on projectiles.

I think 200 rounds of the PPU 198gr then shoot them between my K98 and the g43, then reload the brass, then repeat is probably my best move.

Anyone know of any factory loaded light Ball that sn't corrosive?

I have been using 42.5 of IMR4064 behind the 198 gr FMJBT that I pulled from a bunch of Turk surplus in new WW brass. Very accurate in both G43 (w kit & springs) and several K's Have about 250 bullets left. Can't seem to to find 150 FMJ surplus.

Match usually implies tighter tolerances on both powder charge and bullet weight and case sizing. It was interesting that 198 bullets I pulled from Turk ammo were usually 198.5 to 198.8 range.
    Last edited by k98dave; 08-01-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
    I have been using 42.5 of IMR4064 behind the 198 gr FMJBT that I bulled from a bunch of Turk surplus in new WW brass. Very accurate in both G43 (w kit & springs) and several K's Have about 250 bullets left. Can't seem to to find 150 FMJ surplus.

Match usually implies tighter tolerances on both powder charge and bullet weight and case sizing. It was interesting that 198 bullets I pulled from Turk ammo were usually 198.5 to 198.8 range.

It was designed for Heavy Ball right? I would think with the gas turned down to the lowest it will go while still functioning it wouldn't put too much stress on the system. If it is the general consensus to use 150gr, I'll definitely make a point to work out some handloads if it extends the life.

I usually use CCI #200 primers, but if some commercial primers can cause slam fires is there another I should consider? I think CCI is the hardest, but I'm not sure.

The difference between 2gr on a projectile is pretty miniscule and from the testing I've seen online the 200gr PPU is like 100fps slower, which might be a plus. I might go with that instead.

Oh and instead of making another thread which shooters kit is preferable? Most people online seem to reference the Apfeltor, which is what I am leaning towards, but I'll take any input you guys have.

Thanks as always!

Quote Originally Posted by abalducci View Post
    Oh and instead of making another thread which shooters kit is preferable? Most people online seem to reference the Apfeltor, which is what I am leaning towards, but I'll take any input you guys have.

Thanks as always!
    Yes that's the one to get, he includes springs now too. Rob will custom make ports if needed but the small plug which is what he recommends to start with worked fine for me.

I use large rifle CCI # 34 7.62 NATO in everything
    Last edited by k98dave; 08-01-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k98dave View Post
    Yes that's the one to get, he includes springs now too. Rob will custom make ports if needed but the small plug which is what he recommends to start with worked fine for me.

I use large rifle CCI # 34 7.62 NATO in everything
    Ok ill look into those primers. Emailed him last night just waiting to hear back. Gonna get 2 sets of springs from him if I can.

Thanks