Third Party Press

Thread: -New to Me Sauer 38H-

Default -New to Me Sauer 38H-

Picked this up recently from the vetís son who brought it back, was a part of the US Airborne, more info is on the way from the son in that dept. Really interesting example, didnít set me back much so I figured why not. Only markings on the pistol are the serial number and two small ďHísĒ stamped on small parts. Based on the serial, filing marks, and the poor blueing job Iím going to venture this was a post war production for GIís. Let me know your thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy capture paper guns ugafx4's Avatar

This is a weird one:you're correct that it's post war factory assembled/ picked up based on the serial range and lack of proofs. I'll check Axis Pistols tomorrow for the high serial range for these 38hs. This will be UP there. I doubt there are more than a few higher recorded if any. There are several in the white examples in the 512xxx SN range. The blueing on this does not look like Sauer 38h blueing. It may have been an in the white pistol that was blued later? Some of the internals don't look blued though so I'm not certain on that. Who knows what they were doing when he picked this up.

Quote Originally Posted by ugafx4 View Post
    This is a weird one:you're correct that it's post war factory assembled/ picked up based on the serial range and lack of proofs. I'll check Axis Pistols tomorrow for the high serial range for these 38hs. This will be UP there. I doubt there are more than a few higher recorded if any. There are several in the white examples in the 512xxx SN range. The blueing on this does not look like Sauer 38h blueing. It may have been an in the white pistol that was blued later? Some of the internals don't look blued though so I'm not certain on that. Who knows what they were doing when he picked this up.
    Very true - thereís wear in all the high points as well, it looks like someone toted it around for a while in a holster. I will agree the blueing doesnít look like my early 38H, definitely more crude. If this was a post war hole job someone definitely took their time to do it right. The fact that some of the internals arenít blued though makes me feel like this may have been done pre-assembly.

Grips are reproductions, I can tell by the porosity on the back. Probably an in the white gun blued to make a shooter by the vet or his family.

Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Grips are reproductions, I can tell by the porosity on the back. Probably an in the white gun blued to make a shooter by the vet or his family.

Knowing that Iíll probably keep it and plink with it. I ordered a new spring retainer, meant to order a new decocker spring too but it somehow didnít end up in the ďcartĒ, other is still good enough, just a little play if you depress it at first but holds in normal function.