Third Party Press

Unbekannt German Storage Box

pwcosol

Was at the local swapmeet and got this small box from one of my favorite pickers for $20.00. Dimensions are 11 in. long x 9 in. wide x 5 in. tall. Paint color is the dark, "Mouse Gray". From the markings on the lid, "Zubehor und Vorrat T" would translate to "Accessories and Spares". Don't know about the "T". The stylized characters in the middle must be the manufacturer "AFU" (as the horizontal bar in the "A" extends thru the center of what looks like a long, serpentine "S", which I think makes it a "F"). Lastly, the designation "Sch. A. Ger." might be "Schule" (School), but found no comparison for the last two abbreviations in my WW2 US War Department (1941) English/German Military Dictionary. One thing I noticed is the material/construction of the box. The base is made of fiberboard and in looking at the dovetails on the corners, screws and hinges utilized, it closely resembles the same material used in the construction of my wooden Zf4 scope carrying case. Since the base is fiberboard and carrying strap of webbing, the weight of the original contents in this box was likely under 8 pounds. Any ideas or observations appreciated. Lastly, the seller mentioned the guy he got the box and a few other items from, said he had "A footlocker full of German WW2 stuff" at his home and has invited my friend to come and take a look. Hoping many more goodies may be just around the corner...
"Amended 8/3: After more research the "Sch. A. Ger." may represent "Schießen Artillerie Gerat" or "Artillery Shooting Apparatus".

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back