Third Party Press

Markings Identification

OnlyMil

Hey guys, first time poster here, been lurking for a little while reading threads. Very educating stuff! I've been collecting milsurps for a couple years but have not yet added a K98 to my collection, although I have been in the market for one. A lot of times it seems that genuine rifles go for a lot more than they are worth, or the the more affordable rifles are fakes... I recently watched an auction close on a K98k that I could not find any material on some of the markings. Now that the auction is closed, I'm free to post the link right? So here goes:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/875106860

Upon initial inspection the gun looks to be a Russian capture yes? Looking at the electro-pencil marks in photo #22 and #23 as well as the stamped serialized stock in photo #28. All good, fine, and plenty.

What really stumped me were the barrel markings. Photo #17 shows Nazi proof marks, as well as a serial number, although I can't really tell if that was stamped at the factory over after the fact.

Photo #20 has some sort of crest on the barrel, and a "JA" mark. I can't find any information on this, so maybe someone here might be able to shed some insight? There is also no "7,9" stamp on the barrel shank either, which I also thought to be odd.

I know the auction JUST ended but this has been eating away at me since I saw it. I was not a bidder, too high a price IMO.

That is an expensive stock mismatched, trigger guard, and floor plate rifle. Those parts match each other but not too the rifle. The only thing I find interesting with this rifle is the stock was depot marked.

I like how they say "The gun is matching except for the floor plate and trigger housing." Wrong the stock is not matching either that cuts the value of this K98k by 50% even more so then a bolt mismatched rifle. Someone paid dearly for an expensive stock mismatched K98k.

I have not been impressed with LC offerings and descriptions. I think they skirt a fine line between not describing the entire condition of the rifle and leaving it vague and open to interpretation to just deciding to leave stuff out of the description all together and making it sound like the item matches. Then again, the description does say, it you want pictures of specific things to ask. It is ultimately up to the buyer to do their own research on an item, but we all know that rarely happens.

I do think they get higher prices for their items simply because of the 90 layaway and no credit card fees.

This item is depot marked? I thought that K98 stocks were only serialized under the handguard? Hence why I thought it was Russian capture...

I actually contacted the seller about the barrel markings and they didn't explain them.
I also asked for a picture of the bore: nope.

They said they "didn't believe" it to be a Russian capture and eluded that electro-penciling might be East German...

Easy decision not to bid...

The circle 10 marking is also associated with a rework facility and is perhaps an acceptance for the individual armor. Did you also know the stock recoil lug crossbolt was imperial marked part too? It's hard to make out the stock stamp to find out what facility did the work but it has not been matched to the rifle so it sounds like a restored rifle. If this stock was fitted to this rifle at a facility it would have been matched to the rifle.

The days of getting any kind of a K98 for a decent and accurate price on Gunbroker are over... whether it be an RC, bolt mismatch, mixmaster or a matching example, bidders who don’t know what they are looking at are going to keep driving those prices up past what the rifle being sold is actually worth... When Mitchell’s are selling for $2500, you know there’s no hope left, at least on auction sites. The only way to go is a private individual sale.

no hope left......

The days of getting any kind of a K98 for a decent and accurate price on Gunbroker are over... whether it be an RC, bolt mismatch, mixmaster or a matching example, bidders who don’t know what they are looking at are going to keep driving those prices up past what the rifle being sold is actually worth... When Mitchell’s are selling for $2500, you know there’s no hope left, at least on auction sites. The only way to go is a private individual sale.

sad but true. not that I particularly like the auction process, but in this covid summer, bs on auction sites seems to be heating up like nightly protests in some cities........
(that is NOT intended as a political statement, just an appropriate comparison....)

on the other hand, it makes being here all the more worthwhile!

Thank you again, list ‘powers that be’ for creating it for all to enjoy!

..Looking at the electro-pencil marks in photo #22 and #23

They don't look like EP. Those are very distinct IMO. I think the bolt parts are fine.

..as well as the stamped serialized stock in photo #28. All good, fine, and plenty.

I don't like the numbers on the keel. Looks a bit forced to me. Something about it is just 'off'.

What really stumped me were the barrel markings. Photo #17 shows Nazi proof marks, as well as a serial number, although I can't really tell if that was stamped at the factory over after the fact.

Photo #20 has some sort of crest on the barrel, and a "JA" mark. I can't find any information on this, so maybe someone here might be able to shed some insight?

Serial, suffixes and firing proofs all look factory applied and fine. That 'crest' is dot/13 in a shield and means this is a house barrel finished in Brno by dot. Steyr (bnz) used a similar identification for their finished barrels. JA is simply the steel lot code for tracking in the event of quality issues.

Overall an overpriced rifle with probable issues as stated.

Serial, suffixes and firing proofs all look factory applied and fine. That 'crest' is dot/13 in a shield and means this is a house barrel finished in Brno by dot. Steyr (bnz) used a similar identification for their finished barrels. JA is simply the steel lot code for tracking in the event of quality issues. Overall an overpriced rifle with probable issues as stated.

Ah, okay I see, thank you! I suppose I am a little too skeptical on some of the the S/N markings haha. I had thought that the safety was never serialized. I still have plenty to learn, appreciate the help!

pretty sure its not east german, Im thinking its a "Restoration" you know I want to restore dads old deer rifle

Military Rifle Journal
Back