Third Party Press

is this a K98 bolt?

learjet

oddest looking bolt ive ever seen. has oval gas holes and no markings other than sn, and waa110 i believe on the safety, which is hard to see and under the tie rap in the pix. no proofs around the bolt root at all. gun is probably not worth discussing, only a waa 359 i believe on the receiver, commercial barrel, sanded stock.

i looked thru all the late war stickys and couldnt find anything similar. anyone seen one like this?

just curious for my own education, thx

lear

9B616CEE-E634-4C2A-A194-58BC6E271DDF.jpg

9197DE23-96F7-4EE6-AF22-7793DDD96FEC.jpg

55CD8451-F18D-4BA7-A930-72BC5E76D181.jpg

I think it’s a legit late war bolt shroud and cocking piece for sure, and unless the safety is a repro they do exist like that. It may be a franken-gun overall, but the bolt looks wartime German to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shop wants 900 for the rifle. if anyone is interested pm me.

thx for the info everyone. im curious about the crude bolt parts, the shroud and cocking piece. the shroud appears to never have had the final machining steps completed. to me it looks like it was cast, but never machined. the cocking piece is also crude, without the machined bottom step. did this happen late war, post war, or from time to time during normal production? perhaps theres no answer. it was strange to see it this was esp with the matching LSR safety, and oval hole bolt body. As i said i dug thru the sticky pix and found nothing similar

lear

To answer most simply it's late war/desperation measures. Skipped machining steps. Poor metal finishing. Glaring forging defects. Previously rejected parts. Steyr was the worst but all show some level of diminished quality. Pre-war most all rival commercial quality and slowly they go down from there.

These unfinished, rough forged, "ghn" marked bolt sleeves are well documented for late war bcd rifles, are very cool and not that common. They sure look cast, but they're not. Also cool is the late "e" code cocking piece. The WaAc10 marked LSR "key" safety is very much in demand.:hail:
I guess I'd reluctantly pay $900 for this bolt if I had the rifle.:happy0180:

thx again, i was wondering if perhaps the parts were previous rejects. i did want to put the bolt out there in case anyone has the rifle. you guys sure helped me out when you found the matching top end for my LSR. i thought perhaps i could return the favor to someone

Lear,
The parts are not rejects, they are merely simplified to reduce unneeded cosmetic production steps.

Military Rifle Journal
Back