Third Party Press

Peter Schlesinger as subcontractor.

dot

I recently received this wide tip oiler made by Peter Schlesinger Metalwarenfabrik, marked with the ftd code on its base. This is the second one from this type that I see, and no doubt is original.

This oiler presents only a little simplification, with the tip sleeve manufactured in two pieces, being wider. Later, this type of tip will be apear also in one of the types of the simplified milled oiler with the non removable tip crimped at place and with grooves on oiler body ends, that I denominate as "wider tip" simplified milled oiler. This Type of oiler (wide tip) appear inside some late war Rg34's made by Braunschweigische Blechwarenfabrik, and also by the "rbl44" unknown manufacturer !

There is very little information about the Peter Schlesinger firm, founded in 1885 and located in Offenbach, made accessories and spare parts for the bicycle and car industry. In 1974, he filed for bankruptcy.
During WWII this firm manufactured hand grenades and at some point also manufacture complete Reinigungsgerät 34's. The date of the start of the production of Rg34's is not know as this firm do not stamp the year on the lid, only the letter code ftd asigned by the Heereswaffenamt in June 1941. It seems at some point ceased to manufacture complete Rg34's, but seems that continued to manufacturing some components like oilers. The year of the stoping of the manufacture of complete Rg34's is unknow but in my opinion all points to 1943.

I enclose several pictures of the ftd marked standard milled oiler with wider tip compared with two unmarked simplified milled oilers with the same wider tip. Upon a close observation, it's clear that were made by the same manufacturer, so it's very plausible that Peter Schlesinger after the stoppage of the manufacturing of the Rg34, continued manufacturing parts (only oilers ?) and supplying to other firms.

Antoni

Attachments

• ftd-1.JPG
    ftd-1.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 32
  • ftd-2.JPG
    ftd-2.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 38
  • ftd-3.JPG
    ftd-3.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 30
  • ftd-4.JPG
    ftd-4.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 43
  • ftd-5.jpg
    ftd-5.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 39
  • ftd-6.JPG
    ftd-6.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 34
  • ftd-7.JPG
    ftd-7.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 34
Interesting observation. I picked up a few arr43 kits (late ones) with ftd oilers that looked completely original, I wondered about the oilers. I will have to dig them out.

Edit: I misremembered. It’s actually an arr42 with an ftd oiler, no spoon with typical unmarked chain. Top doesn’t look like yours. But, I have arr kits with that exact late crimped oiler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although with the relative scarcity of "ftd" Rg34s, of those I have physically examined, they occasionally are seen with unmarked components (or mixed components commonly encountered with any Rg34). When examined, the unattributed component(s) may be found to conform with marked examples by comparison. Though unaware of the Peter Schlesinger Metalwarenfabrik "wide-tip" (I call it "fat-head") oiler until reading Antoni's post, it makes me wonder if I might either have or observed an unattributed example. Guess I will have to reexamine my kits with these pattern oilers...and thanks Antoni for your informative submission!

Last edited:
Two more variants of these oilers, in my opinion everything indicates that they were manufactured also by Peter Schlesinger.

The first 3 photos are of a simplified -not crimped- type oiler with wide tip found inside an arr43 kit. This oiler shows some differences with the simplified oilers manufactured by Gustav Appel and Mundlos firms (thanks to forum member Txinxet !).
The fourth and fifth photo shows a simplified crimped oiler with the standard tip. This type of oiler is typically found in arr4 kits. And in the last picture compared with the simplified crimped oiler with the wide tip (at right). Note the differences in size at the tip bushings.

So we are talking about five possible variants:
1. Standard oiler (ftd marked).
2. Standard oiler with wide tip (some with ftd markings).
3. Simplified oiler with wide tip.
4. Simplified crimped oiler with standard tip.
5. Simplified crimped oiler with wide tip.

Antoni

Attachments

• trinxet1.jpg
    trinxet1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 19
  • trinxet2.jpg
    trinxet2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 18
  • trinxet3.jpg
    trinxet3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 18
  • ftd simplified 2.jpg
    ftd simplified 2.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 17
  • ftd simplified 1.jpg
    ftd simplified 1.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 18
  • ftd simplified.jpg
    ftd simplified.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I am going to have to look again! Since we are on these, what about the short steel oiler? One collector said these will fit into the buttstock of a G/K43 rifle. Even so, why would one need a oiler in the stock when each soldat was issued a Rg34 for just that purpose? Could this be a case of scrap or out-of-specification steel tubing not being wasted, but put to use?

This is excellent research Antoni. Good work.

In my humble opinion the oil bottle in the buttstock of the G/K43 is a myth. All of the rg34 oil bottles leak to some extent. A very advanced G/K43 collector once advised me that he had never handled an example that showed signs of oil leaching into the buttstock in that area. My experience has been the same. And as Fred commented, why another oil bottle when an rg34 would have already been issued?

This is excellent research Antoni. Good work.

Thanks Slash ! Unfortunately, written information about these companies is very scarce.

I am the opinion that Peter Schlesinger supplied also cleaning chains after stopping the production of complete Rg34's, but more research is needed for to confirm.

With regard to the simplified oilers, I think also that there is not any conexion with the G/K43 rifle. Undoubtedly the reason for the apparition of the simplified oilers was save time and cost on their manufacture.

Antoni

Military Rifle Journal
Back