Third Party Press

Missing gas piston?

John Lawson

Is this the gas piston inside the barrel cover of a G 41 or is the piston missing?

Attachments

• C4E2CFD7-836C-419C-BD56-2D41A62D6591.jpeg
    C4E2CFD7-836C-419C-BD56-2D41A62D6591.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 81
I think it’s missing since I can see daylight but put your pinkie inside and see if it pulls out. It might be on the barrel too.
0e1a81406e854f24faa7fb0f73c98350.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mia

Nothing inside or on the barrel. The G I must have removed it to deactivate. The son sold it and mentioned something about his Dad saying never to shoot it, it would blow up!?
Looking to buy one if available, late BLM h block.

41 .

.... it looks like the gas piston is stuck inside of the gas tube. soak it is some kroil and it should come out.............. t

I spent most of the day today trying to determine whether that was the piston or part of the barrel shroud. If it is the piston it’s frozen in there for sure. I even watched “Gun Jesus” take one apart on U-tube!
I’ll try soaking it and see what happens.

I spent most of the day today trying to determine whether that was the piston or part of the barrel shroud. If it is the piston it’s frozen in there for sure. I even watched “Gun Jesus” take one apart on U-tube!
I’ll try soaking it and see what happens.

Terrill Biedenharn above is the G41 man so take his advice as very knowledgeable advice. [emoji6]

I personally know him as well. But he's old and getting senile.��

After soaking it in kroil for a while. Make sure you set that gas cylinder on a soft block of wood and use a wooden dowel rod to knock out that piston. Hit it from the top down this way it will help clean out the rest of the cylinder as you're pushing it out. You may have to work it back-and-forth a little bit in order for it to come out. Keep using Kroil. After you have it out take a bronze brush and some kroil, put it in a battery drill and clean it out.

Ok, thanks everyone for your assistance. I couldn’t find any Kroil locally so I ordered on line.:thumbsup:

I ordered mine online as well. The odor will probably arrive before the kroil does. Yea, a lame attempt at humor but you’ll understand when you get it. [emoji23][emoji6]

I ordered mine online as well. The odor will probably arrive before the kroil does. Yea, a lame attempt at humor but you’ll understand when you get it. [emoji23][emoji6]

You ain’t kidding. I kinda like it. Smells better than Balistol, that stuff smells like licorice.

Yeah John we don't have it anywhere locally either. I also get mine thru the system.

You ain’t kidding. I kinda like it. Smells better than Balistol, that stuff smells like licorice.

Funny I like Ballistol better. That's just me but I get into fondling the metal with my hands slathered in Ballistol. Channeling and all

What’s that smell?

I did order on line with expected 8/14 delivery at a price of $16. Before doing that I checked everywhere, Loewe’s, Home D, Walmart, Target, and Sarco. Yesterday I went to a local gunshop/firing range and they had a shelf full of 8 0z. Cans and aerosol at $11.00!! (Heritage Guild, Easton, PA).
I took 20 minutes to check out as the place was mobbed with customers buying guns and signing up for range time and only one cashier. So now it is soaking with another can on the way, and the wife did notice the smell in the garage last night when she came home from Bingo!:googlie

I went to a local gunshop/firing range and they had a shelf full of 8 0z. Cans and aerosol at $11.00!! (Heritage Guild, Easton, PA).

Isn't it funny how that works out sometimes?

I can imagine the madness at gun shops. Even the 'junk' guns are benefitting as people who were Anti now suddenly can't live without one.

All types signing up for range time

There was quite a mix of customers at Heritage Guild yesterday, not your usual “middle aged white guy” gun type. Phones were constantly ringing, employees were overwhelmed with customers. One employee answered the phone and just said “We have only two AR’s left, first come, first served and slammed the phone down.
If you think it’s bad now, imagine how it wil be with a Sleepy Joe win in November!

Funny I like Ballistol better. That's just me but I get into fondling the metal with my hands slathered in Ballistol. Channeling and all

I like the smell of them both equally. Now PB blaster smells like chemical crap !!. Two decades plus of kroil and ballistol use under my belt...and Kroil has been the best for rust busting. Mix ballistol with water and you have a great corrosive bore cleaner....it is pretty much what black powder solvent is. Ballistol is not good as a rust protectant as it evaporates along the lines od WD40. One neat thing about ballistol is it oxidizes new leather quite well when soaked in and set in the sun , as well as making them supple.
I used to use a lot of diesel for scrubbing - especially back in the Army days we used it a lot on M60's and M2/3's. But I'd advise staying away from diesel anymore as it's all low sulfur and full of bacteria. Used to be able to get diesel out of a track or truck in the field and swath chigger affected skin and it was great... low sulfur diesel nowadays will cause infections. Coal oil - aka kerosene is always a decent alternative for good scrubbing.

I like the smell of them both equally. Now PB blaster smells like chemical crap !!. Two decades plus of kroil and ballistol use under my belt...and Kroil has been the best for rust busting. Mix ballistol with water and you have a great corrosive bore cleaner....it is pretty much what black powder solvent is. Ballistol is not good as a rust protectant as it evaporates along the lines od WD40. One neat thing about ballistol is it oxidizes new leather quite well when soaked in and set in the sun , as well as making them supple.
I used to use a lot of diesel for scrubbing - especially back in the Army days we used it a lot on M60's and M2/3's. But I'd advise staying away from diesel anymore as it's all low sulfur and full of bacteria. Used to be able to get diesel out of a track or truck in the field and swath chigger affected skin and it was great... low sulfur diesel nowadays will cause infections. Coal oil - aka kerosene is always a decent alternative for good scrubbing.

PS , Fluid Film is great thickish spray oil for gun metal storage - especially bores. Just don't get it on old original finish wood ...it will affect original finishes to a noticeable degree.

KROIL - it does work!

I left this soak for a week submerged in Kroil, gave it a few taps with a dowel from both ends and the gas piston popped right out. I’m going to leave both parts soak for a few more days. Notice how dark the Kroil got.
When it comes time to reassemble, did the use any lubricant?

Attachments

• 8F676661-2FD2-4DCE-871E-FB449F39141A.jpg
    8F676661-2FD2-4DCE-871E-FB449F39141A.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 20

Military Rifle Journal
Back