Third Party Press

4k 42 1939

Just remember when items get priced beyond buying power one day it will go the same route as the Civil War market. That market is dead I remember when a rifled Springfield musket was $2,000 in late 2003 and now they barely bring $400 at shows nobody wants them. Do I think someone paying $4,000 for this rifle was too much yeah maybe but if he's happy I guess that's the big thing you got to look at. Still if a 1939 42 code is $4,000 now and people think that's what it should be selling for what should an ax 1940 be selling for then do to rarity and scarcity? I remember when everybody had a conniption fit when we saw the S/147k priced at over $20,000. But if you factor in the price tag of $4,000 for a rifle like this and factored into a rifle that scarce and rare by today's market according to some. Maybe that price is not too out of line I guess.

Hell I just got a phone call from a friend of mine that just ended up with a really nice all matching 1940 337 code and he wanted $8,000 for it.

I hear what your saying. In my eyes its all about the condition. I dont think a normal 42 1939 with laminated stock and worn bluing would have touched this price. If you put an ax 1940 on there in this condition the 1000 dollar bills would be flying especially from a guy that dosent have a connection yet on all the back door deals and connections with other collectors. One thing ive learned about collecting a certain type of rifle is once you make some connections everything just seems to come to you.

Just remember when items get priced beyond buying power one day it will go the same route as the Civil War market. That market is dead I remember when a rifled Springfield musket was $2,000 in late 2003 and now they barely bring $400 at shows nobody wants them. Do I think someone paying $4,000 for this rifle was too much yeah maybe but if he's happy I guess that's the big thing you got to look at. Still if a 1939 42 code is $4,000 now and people think that's what it should be selling for what should an ax 1940 be selling for then do to rarity and scarcity? I remember when everybody had a conniption fit when we saw the S/147k priced at over $20,000. But if you factor in the price tag of $4,000 for a rifle like this and factored into a rifle that scarce and rare by today's market according to some. Maybe that price is not too out of line I guess.

Hell I just got a phone call from a friend of mine that just ended up with a really nice all matching 1940 337 code and he wanted $8,000 for it.

I'll be patiently waiting for the day I can pick up any matched original k98k for $400...so on one hand, bring the needlessly excessive inflation on, so long as it quickly leads to that. On the other, the main culprits of the excessive parts of that inflation aren't collectors to me.

I think newer collectors are big reason for inflated prices as are older collectors who tell them doesn't matter what you pay it is only going to go up. Everyone knows nothing goes straight up. Prices right now are up across the board for firearms and ammo because of too much free money, panic buying, and those selling need to get top dollar to live. If the free money stays turned off soon there will be panic selling, especially after the election. After Sandy Hook built ARs were getting $2500. Same ones a couple years later you could barely get $500.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Nice rifle

Haha its funny that this is on here. I am the new owner of this rifle. I just logged back into this site and havent hung around here much but ive been looking for a nice example with a good walnut stock. Those crisp eagles and excellent condition is what i was after. This rifle just spoke to me and im glad the other guy gave up. Ive bought the books, done all my research so here we are. Although i was originally think 3500 when i first saw it, it hit that in a couple days. Rifles like this do not show their face everyday.

I was looking at this rifle myself. Congrats, it was worth it. Even other forums gave this rifle the tumbs up which is rare with all the garbage out there.

I think newer collectors are big reason for inflated prices as are older collectors who tell them doesn't matter what you pay it is only going to go up. Everyone knows nothing goes straight up. Prices right now are up across the board for firearms and ammo because of too much free money, panic buying, and those selling need to get top dollar to live. If the free money stays turned off soon there will be panic selling, especially after the election. After Sandy Hook built ARs were getting $2500. Same ones a couple years later you could barely get $500.

Ive got my checkbook ready for that panic selling!

I was looking at this rifle myself. Congrats, it was worth it. Even other forums gave this rifle the tumbs up which is rare with all the garbage out there.

Yeah ive got the books and concluded it was legit so i decided to do it. That is good to hear though that everyone else thinks its worthy as well.

The market at that given moment decided that THAT rifle was worth that amount to at least one person, the buyer, and CLOSE to that much, by the people outbid on it. I don’t see a problem with that sort of thing because nobody was duped or forced and the rifle is legit. Now if shill bidding were involved then that’s unethical.

There will always be “top end” pieces in every collectible hobby. Always. There will also always be “entry level” pieces, and that is normally where new people to the hobby start out. That’s where I hope prices stay reasonably affordable, so that people can get a start and then aspire to more collectible rifles.

Is this a 4000 dollar rifle? Yes, because it sold for that. It’s like looking at prior house sales to establish value. Prior sales can become reference points for future sales of similar things. But, seller and buyer have to come to a balancing point on THAT price for THAT piece on its own merits and based on both buyer’s and seller’s interpretation of “value” of that piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also get it if there is that one rifle you have been searching for along time I get the rush to buy something you have dreamed of owning. I'm guilty of that if I saw an all matching Kar98b Simson on gunbroker with a buy now button of $4000 or on a table for that price I would most likely buy it. Mainly because I have been searching for a very long time for one. Still the one rifle I kick myself for not buying is that Erfurt Colonial service rifle that is the one rifle that really bugs me.

But I'll be honest I'm 30 years old and in 10 years of collecting I have only bought one K98k for $400 and that was the 1940 660 that was matching but missing the hand-guard and barrel band spring. Most of them I lucked into or was at the right moment at the right time. The AX 1940 is honestly the only K98k rifle I bought from a dealer and that was from Mr. Hugh Brock's but he was dying and selling off his collection back in 2016. I was very happy that I bought it but I was happy to have met many members here at that show in 2016 and have made great friendships with many of them over the years. After all it was Dave Roberts that found my 1916 Kornbusch Gew98.

And no I don't want to see shill bidding inflating the market either that's harmful and will turn collectors away in the future. But in the end at least someone here got a nice honest K98k rifle that their happy with which is the most important thing.

But remember Ferlach98 as my buddy Paul tells me all the time your young. You will find even better K98k rifles or other items in the future for much less. Patience and time and trust me it pays off in the end.

I also get it if there is that one rifle you have been searching for along time I get the rush to buy something you have dreamed of owning. I'm guilty of that if I saw an all matching Kar98b Simson on gunbroker with a buy now button of $4000 or on a table for that price I would most likely buy it. Mainly because I have been searching for a very long time for one. Still the one rifle I kick myself for not buying is that Erfurt Colonial service rifle that is the one rifle that really bugs me.

But I'll be honest I'm 30 years old and in 10 years of collecting I have only bought one K98k for $400 and that was the 1940 660 that was matching but missing the hand-guard and barrel band spring. Most of them I lucked into or was at the right moment at the right time. The AX 1940 is honestly the only K98k rifle I bought from a dealer and that was from Mr. Hugh Brock's but he was dying and selling off his collection back in 2016. I was very happy that I bought it but I was happy to have met many members here at that show in 2016 and have made great friendships with many of them over the years. After all it was Dave Roberts that found my 1916 Kornbusch Gew98.

And no I don't want to see shill bidding inflating the market either that's harmful and will turn collectors away in the future. But in the end at least someone here got a nice honest K98k rifle that their happy with which is the most important thing.

But remember Ferlach98 as my buddy Paul tells me all the time your young. You will find even better K98k rifles or other items in the future for much less. Patience and time and trust me it pays off in the end.

Yeah i hear that. Its funny how it works though now that i bought this one ill find one at the next gunshow for 500 bucks. Ive overpaid for rifles that i just couldnt let go and ive felt like ive stolen some it seems to all wash out in the end. Todays crazy price always seems to be tomorrows cheap price when you are talking about collectable firearms with a big following.

Overpriced is overpriced. Just because two people get in a pissing match at an auction that is not the new price point nor is it the value. GunBroker alone has never established price points. Prices are established over time from multiple sources. Recently there have been a whole lot of non paying bidders at these inflated prices. So many that it almost seems it is being intentionally done by leftists. Also I think it is drunks that sober up and realize what have I done as well as collectors who when they find out how badly they overpaid they back out. For example the 100 Year Mauser bidder placed the opening bid of $3500 and already cut a deal with the seller if he isn't outbid he will pay him $100 and take the non paying bidder strike so seller can get his fees back.

Overpriced is overpriced. Just because two people get in a pissing match at an auction that is not the new price point nor is it the value. GunBroker alone has never established price points. Prices are established over time from multiple sources. Recently there have been a whole lot of non paying bidders at these inflated prices. So many that it almost seems it is being intentionally done by leftists. Also I think it is drunks that sober up and realize what have I done as well as collectors who when they find out how badly they overpaid they back out. For example the 100 Year Mauser bidder placed the opening bid of $3500 and already cut a deal with the seller if he isn't outbid he will pay him $100 and take the non paying bidder strike so seller can get his fees back.

OK Doomer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what is a good price for a matching very good condition AX 1940 these days? If $4k is cool for for a 42 1939 I'm just curious...
Heck I might sell some more good stuff at the new price tier.

This is not that the prices go up, This is the loss of purchasing power of a dollar after recent currency creation. In April, 10 ounce silver bars were selling for $200. Now they sell for $320 and go up on daily basis.

Jack

giphy.gif

I hate playing the pricing game but I also don't necessarily think that rifle was 'overpriced' or even that 2 got into a pissing match (although we've seen that play out many times). The 65-80% (depends who's grading but it certainly wasn't what the carnival barker claimed) dot44 that 'sold' for over $4k? I think most of us would agree that was way overpriced. It was 'nice' but not $4k.

It gets tricky when you get into desirable or sexy features like walnut stocks with deep stamps. MO is THE K98k. Also condition plays. 90%? 95? 99? In some cases you might never see another one that nice available... Ever. Do you pull the trigger despite the price? Of course that's a personal decision but for someone who collects these hard and has the funds available, why not?

This is not that the prices go up, This is the loss of purchasing power of a dollar after recent currency creation. In April, 10 ounce silver bars were selling for $200. Now they sell for $320 and go up on daily basis.

Jack

You are right about that Dollar is getting hammered. Last week with conversion fees little over 1.17 today 1.22 to Euro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just saw a really nice G29o on gunboards sell for $4000 and it set for awhile that was a nice and very scarce rifle.

Military Rifle Journal
Back