Third Party Press

Price for K98k flat but plate stock?

Jbenkert90

I am thinking about getting a replacement stock for a Yugo capture 98/48. I am wondering what the average price for an early style flat but plate stock is. I could possibly settle for a later cupped style if there is that big of a price difference. Would appreciate some help before I go asking to buy in the trader section.

Last edited:
Depends on what type of flat bp stock you want. Are you looking for any original one? If so, the maker/year will matter a lot. If you just want a capture stock, usually around $150 which is the same for captured cupped stocks.

Depends on what type of flat bp stock you want. Are you looking for any original one? If so, the maker/year will matter a lot. If you just want a capture stock, usually around $150 which is the same for captured cupped stocks.

I think a capture stock would be just fine. It would be going on a shooter not a show piece lol. Just wanting something a little closer to original.
The stock on it now must be Yugo in origin. It has a flat but plate and no take down disc whatsoever.
Thanks for the info.

I think a capture stock would be just fine. It would be going on a shooter not a show piece lol. Just wanting something a little closer to original.
The stock on it now must be Yugo in origin. It has a flat but plate and no take down disc whatsoever.
Thanks for the info.

Post pictures of it when you get the chance and someone will be able to ID it I bet.

I have never seen a flat buttplate not takedown disc with sling slot stock. What kind is it?

I have never seen a flat buttplate not takedown disc with sling slot stock. What kind is it?

It’s a Yugo capture mod. 98/48 Radionica. Underneath the receiver crest I can faintly make out s/42 and 1937. It has been re barreled but has WaA stamps on some of the other parts. Here are some pics of the stock which is what I am thinking about replacing.

Here they are

Attachments

• 64644081-0E87-4B9A-BC86-8E410EEFDE8D.jpeg
    64644081-0E87-4B9A-BC86-8E410EEFDE8D.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 20
  • 017BFCDF-B658-416A-BA35-9EF86EF1CAC9.jpeg
    017BFCDF-B658-416A-BA35-9EF86EF1CAC9.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 17
  • CC94ACF9-C4D9-499C-B79F-ED9B83CBE772.jpeg
    CC94ACF9-C4D9-499C-B79F-ED9B83CBE772.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 13
Some more. The one is of the upper hand guard channel

Attachments

• 108F3802-10FD-4291-9E1C-422B8A324FC3.jpeg
    108F3802-10FD-4291-9E1C-422B8A324FC3.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 13F691C3-F50A-40C1-836A-390EFCD4FA6A.jpeg
    13F691C3-F50A-40C1-836A-390EFCD4FA6A.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 14
  • CDA779C4-FEFD-4F31-BB41-2AE1B01B5D47.jpeg
    CDA779C4-FEFD-4F31-BB41-2AE1B01B5D47.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 11
If it was rebarrelled in Yugoslavia an original German stock will not work. Seems to me Yugo rebarrels will not fit in original German stocks being slightly shorter in placement of bayo lug and bands. Someone can correct me if I am mistaken.

If it was rebarrelled in Yugoslavia an original German stock will not work. Seems to me Yugo rebarrels will not fit in original German stocks being slightly shorter in placement of bayo lug and bands. Someone can correct me if I am mistaken.

There is not a single marking on the barrel but it is definitely not original to the receiver. The front band does seem to sit a little more forward than what it normally would on a 98k, definitely off a little bit with the stock it has now.

Sounds like you need one of the Yugoslav modified stocks and handguards. They cut down some original German stocks about 1/2" for use with re-barreled K98k's since Yugoslav replacement barrels were about that much shorter. Front barrel step will sit under the upper band with an original length K98k stock. Interestingly, the Yugoslavians made replacement stocks for the original length rifle barrels in both cupped and flat buttplate versions, and this is what you show in your photo. This is the dilemma when trying to use Yugoslav stocks for a restoration. Stock and barrel lengths involved need to be known.

Sounds like you need something like this from Numrich... https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1478680

Make sure you get the proper handguard they list for it as well.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need one of the Yugoslav modified stocks and handguards. They cut down some original German stocks about 1/2" for use with re-barreled K98k's since Yugoslav replacement barrels were about that much shorter. Front barrel step will sit under the upper band with an original length K98k stock. Interestingly, the Yugoslavians made replacement stocks for the original length rifle barrels in both cupped and flat buttplate versions, and this is what you show in your photo. This is the dilemma when trying to use Yugoslav stocks for a restoration. Stock and barrel lengths involved need to be known.

Sounds like you need something like this from Numrich... https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1478680

Make sure you get the proper handguard they list for it as well.

Thanks a bunch Stan. Only problem is that apparently Numrich does not sell the handguard anymore. At least as far as I can tell

If you can measure the distance of the barrel step and post it we can see if your barrel is indeed shorter or not. I have a stepped back stock and HG set, but it is cupped. Additionally a friend currently has dibs on it until this weekend, if he passes we can talk it out.

If you can measure the distance of the barrel step and post it we can see if your barrel is indeed shorter or not. I have a stepped back stock and HG set, but it is cupped. Additionally a friend currently has dibs on it until this weekend, if he passes we can talk it out.

I am currently at work but I will try to post it tonight. I assume I will need to measure from the end of the muzzle to the barrel step?? I could settle for a decent cupped stock, it wouldn’t be the end of the work for me.
Out of curiosity, what is the difference in barrel length between an original 98k and a Yugo rebarrel?

I am currently at work but I will try to post it tonight. I assume I will need to measure from the end of the muzzle to the barrel step?? I could settle for a decent cupped stock, it wouldn’t be the end of the work for me.
Out of curiosity, what is the difference in barrel length between an original 98k and a Yugo rebarrel?

Measurement is from muzzle to barrel step. Looks to be about the same distance as my others with original barrels.

Attachments

• 5E493C52-FAF8-483B-B02E-C1A798532C55.jpg
    5E493C52-FAF8-483B-B02E-C1A798532C55.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
The dimensions from the muzzle to front barrel step (the one at front of upper band) should be the same on both original and Yugoslav replacement barrels. That's why the stocks were cut down to maintain that dimension ( as well as the muzzle to bayonet lug) so the bayonet could be mounted properly. The front step would be different if measured from the receiver to the step as the overall length of the Yugo barrels is aprox 1/2" shorter. Measure the overall barrel length from muzzle to bolt face with a cleaning rod and compare if you have an unaltered K98k to compare to.
Here is an example of an original barrel in a Yugoslav shortened stock...

Attachments

• yugo stock -1.jpg
    yugo stock -1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 10
The dimensions from the muzzle to front barrel step (the one at front of upper band) should be the same on both original and Yugoslav replacement barrels. That's why the stocks were cut down to maintain that dimension ( as well as the muzzle to bayonet lug) so the bayonet could be mounted properly. The front step would be different if measured from the receiver to the step as the overall length of the Yugo barrels is aprox 1/2" shorter. Measure the overall barrel length from muzzle to bolt face with a cleaning rod and compare if you have an unaltered K98k to compare to.
Here is an example of an original barrel in a Yugoslav shortened stock...

Tape mark is from original barrel measured with cleaning rod down to bolt face. About 3/8” to just under 1/2” difference. This was done about 4:30 am before work but I’m pretty sure it was less than 1/2” difference.

Attachments

• A8359976-A41D-4C60-9B62-55997612B379.jpg
    A8359976-A41D-4C60-9B62-55997612B379.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 9
Tape mark is from original barrel measured with cleaning rod down to bolt face. About 3/8” to just under 1/2” difference. This was done about 4:30 am before work but I’m pretty sure it was less than 1/2” difference.

That would be it. I have not measured the actual metric difference in barrel lengths, but by eyeball ruler, that looks to be a Yugoslav length replacement.

That would be it. I have not measured the actual metric difference in barrel lengths, but by eyeball ruler, that looks to be a Yugoslav length replacement.

Thanks again Stan. The info is much appreciated. Maybe I will get lucky and Aaron and I can work something out for his shortened stock if it’s still available.

Military Rifle Journal
Back