Third Party Press

firing pin tip repair

Brian75

Hi-

Posting for a friend. (I myself am only an occasional poster here).

He has a Gew98 and the tip of the firing pin was nipped off when he got the rifle. All matching numbers, including firing pin. Asking on this forum b/c I assume the issue with a 98k and G98 fp is the same and more people will see this.

He had a smith repair the tip and then he (friend) dropped the firing pin and the tip bent!!! I have looked in the K98 archives and learned a bit but want to ask about this.

Should/can he send it to a more competent gunsmith for a proper repair? If so, any recommendations for a gunsmith? He is willing to mail the fp. Or, should he try to bend the tip back, or just leave it the h*ll alone and use the replacement nonmatching firing pin he already has, in the event that he does shoot the rifle? The latter was my thought, but my friend, who is a good guy and superknowledgeable about Civil War small arms, thinks that getting it properly (if possible) fixed is the way to go. One archived post here indicated that a snipped off firing pin tip is not going to lessen a rifle's value, to a collector.

TIA for any assistance, help, thoughts,

Brian

IMO repair is the way to go. A picture would help.

Bend straight or not? Depends on how severe the bend is and location. Also depends on how it was repaired. If soldered or other repair using heat then the temper of the original steel was likely annealed away. That made the accidental deformation by dropping more likely. If it breaks if you try to restaighten then it should be easy to retip. Bottom line is to take it to a professional who understands the metallurgy.

Sounds like the repair tip was soft if it just bent rather than break off. He could take it to shop and see if it can be straightened and maybe re heat treated. Either way I would not use it to shoot with.

Firing pin

Who ever replaced the tip: did not get it centered, used the wrong steel, or did not get the taper correct. I collect nambu’s and often their firing pins were clipped. When I went to shoot one I just drop in a working firing pin and when I put it away put the original pin back in. The original pin is all ready modified and will require additional expense to correct. I would just shoot it with the replacement and keep the original with the rifle. Make sure the replacement is the correct length or misfires or penetrated primers can happen.

Sending you a PM. Warrior 1354 turned me on to a guy in Iowa that repairs Mauser firing pins and did an outstanding job for me.

There is a guy who does superb work on these. I saved his info somewhere but can't put my hands on it.
Maybe this is who the previous poster PMd you about?

Thanks all!!! 2700 fps lightning fast responses, all spot on. Got the PM with the tip repairman's email contact. I kinda/sorta learned a bit from the archives about hardening, metal, etc., and my friend knows these things much more comprehensively, but he hopes for another stab at a repair and now he can explore getting a(nother) repair done. I would just go with the replacement which he has for shootin', but so be it. ~Brian

(It just occurred to me that said friend does not "do" email, but that's his/my problem and I won't do any more pestering you all about this. Ha!)

Yes, the same.
==========
Is it Don Schlickman? He's also the go-to guy for Nambu firing pin repairs...

Military Rifle Journal
Back