Third Party Press

Has this stock been sanded?

CRMausr7

Okay, so I just bought a K98k stock off GunBroker for a future K98k rebuild. I ordered one that was supposed to be unmarked, but something looks off about it on the butt. It looks to me like the left side of the butt has been sanded to remove most of a serial number (there still appears to be traces of it), and then refinished. Are my suspicions correct, or am I just being paranoid?

Attachments

• 20200806_155641.jpg
    20200806_155641.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20200806_155651.jpg
    20200806_155651.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200806_155703.jpg
    20200806_155703.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 83
You are correct. I ripped your picture and enhanced it quickly (I’m used to looking for the remains of markings) and you can see a four digit number.
cc294abf1fb10d78c1f671a6e6b0ec57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this probably isn’t necessary of me by now but a solid yes, One can easily make out the serial number still 2xx7. If they charged you at original finish stock prices I would attempt get a partial refund at least, or just return it outright. If you paid a fair Russian capture price (120-160 IMO) for the stock set I’d just keep it.

I bought an honest RC stock set in really good shape by RC standards from a veteran owned shop on Gun Broker 2 years ago for about 160. They are useful stocks.

Herk

I agree with the C-130 gentleman! R/C stocks can be useful especially at a good price, so depending on your plans it might be ok. If it’s for a shooter, and the stock is structurally sound, I’d keep it if the price was right.

However, if it was advertised as unmarked, that’s technically true BECAUSE they sanded the numbers off!! If you paid a premium for it, I’d ask for a partial refund or perhaps a return.

I agree with the C-130 gentleman! R/C stocks can be useful especially at a good price, so depending on your plans it might be ok. If it’s for a shooter, and the stock is structurally sound, I’d keep it if the price was right.

However, if it was advertised as unmarked, that’s technically true BECAUSE they sanded the numbers off!! If you paid a premium for it, I’d ask for a partial refund or perhaps a return.

I paid $220 for it, which included an unmarked bayonet lug and cupped buttplate (that's too big for the stock), plus an Eagle 18 marked takedown disc. I'm guessing I paid too much for it.

I paid $220 for it, which included an unmarked bayonet lug and cupped buttplate (that's too big for the stock), plus an Eagle 18 marked takedown disc. I'm guessing I paid too much for it.

The fact that the buttplate seems too large reflects the amount of material removed by sanding. It’s your call of course, but I would contact the seller about a return or a partial refund to get the price down to a much lower amount.

Considering the cost of original non RC stocks and adjustments for 2 years of inflation I’d say the price you payed is justifiable IMO. You have to be the judge at the end of the day. It’s your money and your property. :happy0180:

I’d like to see the original ad, did the seller advertise this as original, and was a hand guard included?

Considering the cost of original non RC stocks and adjustments for 2 years of inflation I’d say the price you payed is justifiable IMO. You have to be the judge at the end of the day. It’s your money and your property. :happy0180:

I’d like to see the original ad, did the seller advertise this as original, and was a hand guard included?

He didn't advertise it as original, and the ad didn't include a hand guard. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/873508192

So stocks and hardware matching to themselves were in the 250-500 range 6-10 years ago depending on their rarity and condition. In the last 5 years really nice stock sets have become either unobtanium or uber expensive. Like when people look for a certain late war stock and are shocked that they're $1k+... if you can even find one for sale. It is what it is. I have several t block Steyr I'd love to find stocks for including an odd size laminate that some fool took an industrial belt sander to. So sad.

Yeah, IMO Dragom is a shitbird seller who humps up 98k’s. He knows exactly wha he sold you.

IMO Dragom is a shitbird

For me his claim to fame will always be his love of wood stamps... and pounding them as often and as deep into the wood as he could. He must have used a lump hammer on them. Oh and ridiculously oversized stamps that the Germans never used. He hit up a couple rifles with big Das Reich shields. He was originally Drago something.

For me his claim to fame will always be his love of wood stamps... and pounding them as often and as deep into the wood as he could. He must have used a lump hammer on them. Oh and ridiculously oversized stamps that the Germans never used. He hit up a couple rifles with big Das Reich shields. He was originally Drago something.

Drago Kustom Raafles, home of the Tittiegirl humprifle display stand.

pix427755889.jpg

The stock number points to a Yugoslav K98k rework. Make sure it isn't one of the shortened ones.

Dragom IS a 24 carat turd monger......

He has several original 100% TURD REICH specials for sale right now on GB.

Military Rifle Journal
Back