Third Party Press

Busch Rathenow Visar 4 1/2x Soviet Trials Scope

Absolut

Yes, it does not belong to a forum dedicated to the Mauser K98k rifle, and especially not in the Mauser Sniper section. Still, since it is very important with the development of the Soviet sniper rifle I decided I should nevertheless also post this here for future reference and not only on gunboards.

With great pride please find attached pictures of my most recent addition: an Emil Busch of Rathenow made scope model "Visar" with 4 1/2x magnification which was one of 100 trials scopes that were made for Russia. Busch was requested to manufacture a scope with lateral adjustment, therefore they altered the Visar scopes which they were already producing. I've additionally attached two comparison pictures of how "normal" Emil Busch Rathenow model Parvisar 4x and Visar 3x looked like.

These scopes served as pattern for the later Soviet PE scopes. Additionally they took over the top mount design from this scope.

Take special note the scope is serial 28. You can find the scope serial 28 again on the scope mount. Note it was issued originally to rifle 29458 followed by "\ 28", which is the scope serial number. For what I remember that ratnik told me these were originally mounted to Tula made rifles, but I don't know which year these were issued - maybe he'll tell me.

Finally, the scope mount was filed thinner on one side. I don't know what this was for and if this was done factory. Also the mount is missing the clamping bar on the inside. But this part should be easier to replace, if I ever decide to make the mount complete again. For the moment I'm however very happy on it anyway and I hope that collectors can learn on it. ratnik has told me the mount is different from the later mount, once I know more on this I'll also update this thread.

The final two pictures of the Soviet contract Busch Visar scope show it with its original leather lense covers that it came with. Note the ocular leather cover at the rear already fell out and the leather is extremely brittle, nevertheless nice to have its original leather covers with it. It also seems it once had a securing strap at the front from the holes in the part connecting the two covers.

Attachments

• Visar_01.jpg
    Visar_01.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Visar_02.jpg
    Visar_02.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Visar_03.jpg
    Visar_03.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Visar_04.jpg
    Visar_04.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 51
  • Visar_05.jpg
    Visar_05.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Visar_06.jpg
    Visar_06.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Visar_07.jpg
    Visar_07.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Visar_08.jpg
    Visar_08.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Visar_09.jpg
    Visar_09.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Visar_10.jpg
    Visar_10.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Visar_11.jpg
    Visar_11.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 36
  • parvisar_06.jpg
    parvisar_06.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 36
  • visar_01.jpg
    visar_01.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 46
Sure, no problem! I didn't expect much replies to no replies to this anyway since there is not much known on those and how you want to discuss something on what nearly nothing is known or documented. But I thought it would be important to document it in here, maybe there will come up information in the future or who knows, the next gun show you see one of these at a table and now that you know what it is, maybe you take it with you.

Real interesting, i have seen 3 of these in the past years.

One thing i am thinking of- "DR ZF.28" looks for me like an typical modell designation.

Are there other glasses with the indication "DR ZF." but different number than 28?

I did not say I know what Dr would mean. Just that other scopes from the same trial for Russia also have the Dr ZF prefix and following that the individual scope serial.

If you btw want to be more confused: some years back I purchased a Visar 7 1/2x scope which had the Dr. inscription twice - followed by capital Z.F. with dots (versus "Zf" on the Russian scopes) and a very low serial. Therefore I think these were individual engravings for scopes that were made for particular experiments.

This IMHO would be confirmed by the fact that Visar scopes of the same model series have normal serial numbers and no Dr nor ZF markings plus much higher serial numbers.

Attachments

• Visar.jpg
    Visar.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 20
I am not confused about anything, it was just an question, not more.......
I think that "Dr" and "DR" is an abbreviation, i am sure that is not done for nothing.

I concur it is an abbreviation, though I did not figure out for what. Do you have any suggestions?

Would i ask if i have an suggestion?

I have two Busch scopes, one similar to that you showed signed with "Dr. Dr. ZF",
the other one is signed "D. R." without ZF.
Both came out of an gunstore closed in the 1970s, but founded around 1900.
They came with an bunch of around 50 scopes, all pre 45 types.

I am guessing but bet it has something to do with prototype, Russian proposed design, etc. Something to do with Soviet possible contract?

Military Rifle Journal
Back