Third Party Press

Family members holding various Mauser rifles 1914 through 1936

Gerst

Since I made the decision to “un-sporterize” the Gewehr 98 I bought when I was in high school in 1960, I have been doing a lot of Mauser research.
I am fortunate that our family photos came down to me and many of them show my dad, his dad and my great uncle (Imperial Guard) holding various German infantry rifles, beginning with the Gewehr 1888. I thought that my fellow forum members might be interested in some of these.

The single photo is my grandfather at the front in WWI with his Gewehr 1888 with bayonet.

The photo at the Neue Wache in Berlin is my great uncle Fritz with his Gewehr 98.

The photo with General von Seeckt reviewing the troops in my dad in 1924 with his Gewehr 98

The guard duty photo – 1930 – is my father with his Karabiner 98b.

The rifle range photo (my dad standing with portepee in his bayonet frog) is a Karab. 98b

Attachments

• Opa Gerstenmeier at the front with Landwehr Regiment 46 - Poland - 1915.jpg
    Opa Gerstenmeier at the front with Landwehr Regiment 46 - Poland - 1915.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Great Uncle Fritz 4th from right - Garde Pionier Batallion  at the Neue Wache, Berlin - March, 1.jpg
    Great Uncle Fritz 4th from right - Garde Pionier Batallion at the Neue Wache, Berlin - March, 1.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 84
  • General von Seeckt - Commander of the Reichswehr - reviews 2nd Zug (squad) 15th Comoany of the 1.jpg
    General von Seeckt - Commander of the Reichswehr - reviews 2nd Zug (squad) 15th Comoany of the 1.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Guard duty in Berlin - 1930.jpg
    Guard duty in Berlin - 1930.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 89
  • At the shooting stand - on the range in 1936 Co 8 IR 50.jpg
    At the shooting stand - on the range in 1936 Co 8 IR 50.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 88
Some very wonderful pictures you have posted and it's even better that they're tied to you and your family. I'm curious of some of the pictures in my collection if members around the world could recognize them as their loved ones from the past.

Again thank you for posting

The last three are really excellent, Seeckt in 1924 at the peak of his influence, - that and a man who knew the best path forward for Germany (like Bismarck he knew Russia, Soviet or not, was the alliance to seek, - if the Germans of today had any sense at all they would look to Russia and not the west...).

It is good that your photographs have survived and in the hands of someone who is familiar with the context. So often they work there way into hands of those that are thoughtless, rash and or careless and they are lost, destroyed or the context is lost.... so many times they end up in some storage lot or some box or some half-wit epicurean teenager.

The last three are really excellent, Seeckt in 1924 at the peak of his influence, - that and a man who knew the best path forward for Germany (like Bismarck he knew Russia, Soviet or not, was the alliance to seek, - if the Germans of today had any sense at all they would look to Russia and not the west...).

It is good that your photographs have survived and in the hands of someone who is familiar with the context. So often they work there way into hands of those that are thoughtless, rash and or careless and they are lost, destroyed or the context is lost.... so many times they end up in some storage lot or some box or some half-wit epicurean teenager.

Ive got a lot more of them from both wars, and medals and documents back to the 1800s. My family saved important stuff, even though we lost almost everything in 1944-45. We lived in Berlin then!

That was a tough time to be a Berliner! Though, probably better than East Prussian or Pomeranian/Silesian in 1945, at least you didn't have to walk back in the cold and bitter Russian/Polish masses (not that Poles were treated better than Germans at the time... the only culture more despised or disrespected than the Germans in 1945 were Poles)

Ive got a lot more of them from both wars, and medals and documents back to the 1800s. My family saved important stuff, even though we lost almost everything in 1944-45. We lived in Berlin then!

Incredible family history. Make sure future generations understand the value as you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back