Third Party Press

Seeking info on BNZ 41

Mark5

I am new to Mausers, so I welcome input on whether this mismatch rifle might be a good choice for a recreational shooter (assuming it headspaces alright---the bore looks good), or if there is anything collectible about it.

What I can see:

• bnz. 41 (which means Steyr --or rather, Radom?--1941)... part of the "L" batch?
  • Overall, seems in decent shape--no major damage-- but the bolt does not match, nor can I see anything else on the gun that matches, except the serial number on the receiver and barrel. No front sight hood.
  • I cannot see any marking to indicate it is a Russian capture
  • Not sure what the small hook on the front band is...some kind of stacking swivel? Is it even correct for this model?
  • The safety lever has a circled "N" (or is it a "Z"?)... I have not been able to discover what this means.
Inspection marks end in 623, plus one e/77. Seems like someone has bevelled the magazine follower or otherwise made some adjustment so that the bolt closes on an empty magazine instead of holding open.

In your opinion, at what rough price point would you consider it a good deal? Collectible? Historically interesting? Shooter? Junk?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• scr.png
    scr.png
    167.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
here are more pics

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 48
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 50
Yes, a collection of parts, but perhaps right for your shooting needs. The Z-safe is Czech made, the bands hook is to move and hold a sling with wire bale into parade position (IIRC), and not right on a K98. The bolt ... does it have a flat spot on the ball? Appears to not be a true K98 bolt.

The rifle is not collectable, nor historically interesting, though Steyr (bnz) is generally liked. And yes, the serials ran 1-9999 and they advanced the serials by adding a letter after the number. First, no letter, then a, b, c, ....

In your opinion, at what rough price point would you consider it a good deal? Collectible? Historically interesting? Shooter? Junk?

Pricing/ desirability is always tough, as everyone's motivation is different. Seems like a basic RC brings $7-800, bolt mismatch = 800-1500, and matched = 1500 and up. If this was on Gunbroker... it may bring 450-750 but that's IMO... Other forum members will have a different prism and see things differently. Remember, this forum tilts vastly towards more original rifles. You may get a diff answer on a shooter's forum.

..The bolt ... does it have a flat spot on the ball? Appears to not be a true K98 bolt.

Yes. Tighter bend and flat spot. Anyone ID what's on the rear bolt flat? I couldn't make sense of it.

Also what's up with the front action screw? Appears to be recessed about 1/4". Never saw that before.

Added swivel on keel. Like Bob said price and your intent would decide here.

For the receiver right acceptance. e/77 in the first position is Radom supplied forging, e/623 indicates finishing and fitting operations were carried out by Steyr.

Thanks everyone for your help.

A few more pics of the bolt...does it seem like a k98 bolt?

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 11.png
    11.png
    257.5 KB · Views: 26
Kar.98a? Not my area but pretty sure. Someone probably knows the 'who' based on the acceptance but I don't. Never saw the sideways serial.

Well, someone bought it before I did. Where there's one, there will be another....

Thank you all for the education on this thread!

what was the asking price?

I wonder too! Looks like he edited out the price tag. I think I would put it at the lower end of Bob's price range myself. With that said, it amazes me to some degree that rifles assembled from bits and pieces from various models of Mauser rifles could still even be considered at that price. Such seems to be the fervor for anything remotely K98k related. Makes me wish I had bought more bits and pieces back when they were cheap, and started my own assembly line.

It sold for the asking price of $499.

I blotted out the asking price when I posted the photo because I just wanted to be polite to the seller. Thanks again everyone for the info.

Military Rifle Journal
Back