Third Party Press

K98 found locally - Need some information.

I was at my local favorite gun store the other day to pick up a rifle I had ordered and while I waited for the check to clear, of course I had to have a look at what else was there. That's when I stumbled upon this guy. It claims itself to be a German K98 in .308. I'm not a K98 buff, in fact I know rather little about them, but I'm fairly certain this is not the original caliber. That said, I don't mind that. Makes it easier to feed.

I'm seriously considering buying this rifle at the end of the week (payday), but I don't know if it's worth the money being asked for.

If anyone could spread some knowledge on this rifle, I'd appreciate it.

Rs7Id0nh.jpg

8fjKQTGh.jpg

3RmlqzCh.jpg

o8RubqNh.jpg

ZAEmuYbh.jpg

EKKGC1Xh.jpg

This was at one time an SS Gew. 98 conversion to 98k, but having been converted by the Israeli's to 7.62 it's now junk. Save your money for something of value.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call an Israeli Conversion junk. Has additional history and they work well. I wouldn't pay $750 for one, but I would rather have an Israeli than a RC.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I apologize Capt. I sometimes have a nasty habit of telling it like it is. It's hard for me to be PC when I see something that would have been very valuable turned into something that can't even be rescued. Cheers to you.:happy0180:

Lot's of history in this one is true. WW1, 2 and IDF service. I'm not a fan on CAI 'finishes' and I'd like it more at $500 or so. You are right in that it'll be cheaper to feed and it's probably a good shooter however at a firm $750 I'd pass.

Lot's of history in this one is true. WW1, 2 and IDF service. I'm not a fan on CAI 'finishes' and I'd like it more at $500 or so. You are right in that it'll be cheaper to feed and it's probably a good shooter however at a firm $750 I'd pass.

That's what I was thinking $500 would be a good price. $500 OTD even better. OP have him call the seller and see if it will take less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right now prices are stupid out of control; similar rifles have sold on GunBroker for

$645
$706
$755
$905
$930
$1255

Expensive boat anchors.

Israelis almost always sell for more than Russian Captures. IDF crest usually get even more.

One thing about buying an Israeli for $500 vs a somewhat common Nazi K98k for $4k is you aren't as upset when you find out internal parts don't match, small parts were renumbered, stock was slightly sanded, or bore is shot out.

Great information Capt. , I never new IDF rifles had such a following. It goes to show how true it is that "Ones mans trash is another mans treasure." :thumbsup:

Great information Capt. , I never new IDF rifles had such a following. It goes to show how true it is that "Ones mans trash is another mans treasure." [emoji106]
Honestly I didn't expect them to be selling for that much, but everything is bizzarro pricing.

Military Rifle Journal
Back