Third Party Press

Matching P08 Luger.. Maybe? Serial question

actiondan

I picked up what I believed to be an all matching Luger today. Last two of the serial is "35".Everything looks good except for the extractor. Does that look like a "36" to anyone?

4b9f2f07f663230a1968551cb454e75b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It could be the angle / lighting, but it looks (dare I say factory) overstamped to me. I know it's a few years off, but here is a 41/42 that happens to end in 56.

Attachments

• 4142extractor.jpg
    4142extractor.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 50
It could be the angle / lighting, but it looks (dare I say factory) overstamped to me. I know it's a few years off, but here is a 41/42 that happens to end in 56.
Is the 56 that you are showing over stamped?

Is the 56 that you are showing over stamped?

No, just trying to find examples of a 5 and 6 stamp from Mauser to compare against yours. What concerns me with yours is the top line of the last digit is not flat. The left side is extremely flat through what should be open for a 5. There's metal missing between the top line and the bottom loop. Leads me to believe it was either overstamped at the factory or altered later.

Unfortunately, it looks as if none of the 5s and 6s match whatever stamp is on my extractor.

The lower portion of the number looks completely rounded, like a 6. However the top portion is straight, like a 5.

So, perhaps you are correct about an overstamp.

It’s a 6 overstamped with 5. Factory font it’s no issue

Rob is right, mauser’s luger production was not squeaky clean as their 98k production was. Lots of variation particularly with factory original grips being un-numbered and numbered in the same years especially 1935-
37. I wouldn’t be concerned with that on a 98k either.

I’ve seen this with hold opens and take down levers too.

Military Rifle Journal
Back