Third Party Press

Father and Grandfather machine-gun crews

Gerst

My paternal grandfather was an infantryman in WWI but at Arras, he served with a machine-gun crew. My father joined the Reichswehr in 1925. He did time with the machine-gun company. Here are two photos of the crews.

The 1916 photo at Arras has my grandfather on the right.

The 1926 photo has my father right behind the MG.

Attachments

• Opa Gerstenmeier in Arras, France - 1916 -  Machinegun Company, 2nd  Battalion, 78th Landwehr In.jpg
    Opa Gerstenmeier in Arras, France - 1916 - Machinegun Company, 2nd Battalion, 78th Landwehr In.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IR 12 - 8th BN, 1st Platoon - Grafenwoehr Maneuvers - August 1926.jpg
    IR 12 - 8th BN, 1st Platoon - Grafenwoehr Maneuvers - August 1926.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 163
When I first met the gal who would become my wife, we were sitting one evening looking through her family scrapbook. She said, "Here's a pic of my grandfather." I did a double-take and thought, 'Wrong army!' That's him on the right in the pic below, pulling guard duty in the helmet with the rifle over his shoulder. His name was Johann Dietzen VI. The photo was taken at Wartburg castle in 1916. The castle was built during the middle ages and overlooks Eisenach, his home town. Though wounded, he survived WWI and brought his family to the US from Germany in 1931. His son, my wife's father, was named Johann Dietzen as well, Americanized to John.

Wartburg castle is the place where Martin Luther translated the New Testament of the Bible into German.

My paternal grandfather was a US cavalryman on the Mexican border in 1916. He rode with Pershing's Punitive Expedition into northern Mexico in 1917. He didn't serve in Europe, so fortunately the two men never got the chance to shoot at each other!

Attachments

• Wartburg c1916.jpg
    Wartburg c1916.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 71
  • csm_Wartburg_Supersystem2_Zumtobel_02_3ad96d7b08.jpg
    csm_Wartburg_Supersystem2_Zumtobel_02_3ad96d7b08.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back