Third Party Press

Long shot, but do these numbers look German?

prez1981

Just picked up a new Nagant Model 1895 revolver. It was made by Tula in 1940. No import markings and not a rework. I suspect it’s a WWII bringback, but have no proof of that. I disassembled it and came across some electro-penciled/etched numbers on the hammer. This matches the serial number less the prefix. Apparently, these didn’t have numbered hammers, so I assume it was applied post-production. Hammer matches the finish and arsenal of the pistol. The style reminded me of what some have attributed to be German depot applied etched numbers, so I wanted to see what you all thought. I don’t know why a hammer would have been numbered post-production, but can’t come up with any other logical reason. If a bringback, could have easily come through German hands.
Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Attachments

• FA76EDF1-9C5F-4752-917D-3D8A82E0BF3B.jpg
    FA76EDF1-9C5F-4752-917D-3D8A82E0BF3B.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 83
I think German replacement is very possible, but you would really have to look at other original Nagants to see if there is a pattern.

The Russians did occasionally EP parts during production. Tula SVT38s for example will have a faint assembly (not matching) number of some kind EP'd on the muzzle device. This hammer being matching would cut against that since Russian guns were numbered only after being completed and accepted, but it is a possibility.

hammer is probably not from same period as no visible OTK stamp, it could be replacement added in war. Hard to destine its german reserial or sowjet repair.

Soviet production Nagant revolvers originally only had serial numbers on the frame, side plate and cylinder.

If the number was German applied would there be an additional depot mark somewhere? I’m not well versed on their procedures as others on this forum are.

Military Rifle Journal
Back