Third Party Press

Erma Code 27 1940

Tom Steil

Has anybody seen one of these before?

Stock is walnut with mint bore. No pitting or import markings. Overall excellent.

Comments?

Attachments

• 27 Code #1 Chamber.jpg
    27 Code #1 Chamber.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 27 Code #2 Rear Sight.jpg
    27 Code #2 Rear Sight.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 27 Code #3 Bolt Cutout.jpg
    27 Code #3 Bolt Cutout.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 27 Code #4 front band.jpg
    27 Code #4 front band.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 104
  • 27 Code #5 Floor Plate.jpg
    27 Code #5 Floor Plate.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 27 Code #8 stock w serial.jpg
    27 Code #8 stock w serial.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 27 Code #9 stock with H.jpg
    27 Code #9 stock with H.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 27 Code #11 Side Receiver.jpg
    27 Code #11 Side Receiver.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 102
Those stamps on the receiver are awfully weak. I agree that the metal went through some type of refurbishment.

Can make out the "H" on stock denoting army issuance but stampings are weak. love those walnut stocks though.

Not sure I understand the question... '40 ERMA in walnut? The metal and wood both appear redone...

Not checking the bible I'd have to go with what BiO kind of asked... I believe Erma was all laminate at this point. I own a couple and have looked at a fair amount so I'll stick with that statement.

Walnut does show up in the d-block of 1940, two are known that straddle this rifle (3463/d & 7110/d); that said this rifle internal serial looks counterstamped or tampered with, the pictures (2017) are not very good, but it looks that way to me.

Anyway, just on the subject of the possibility for ERMA/40 having walnut stocks, yes possible, but not common (I would say rare)

Walnut does show up in the d-block of 1940, two are known that straddle this rifle (3463/d & 7110/d); that said this rifle internal serial looks counterstamped or tampered with, the pictures (2017) are not very good, but it looks that way to me.

Thanks for the clarity Paul! Once again I can see the value in trends work and cataloging individual examples. Another thing that gave me pause besides being walnut is that Erma/Feima are known for having not only a LOT of stamps but also being very methodical and predictable in how and where they stamped them. Being a walnut stock I'd expect to see all or at least most of these and several of the known locations show nothing that I can see.

I think there are problems with the stock, but it is possible, lousy pictures provide a poor foundation for a good opinion or evaluation. This is where trends come in handy, you gather a large number of superficial reports intermingling a (relative) sprinkling of solid or thorough examples and broad conclusions can be made, especially on some more common subjects (barrel sub-contracting/sub-contracting in general, serial ranges, acceptance patterns, changes in serialing and components etc...)

Of course in the end, most conclusions are only opinions or educated guesses... even the most populous makers (byf/dot/dot/bcd) are a mere glimpses of what has survived (every week I add dozens of rifles that have never been recorded and could probably add a hundred if i really spent time searching), - needless to say a tiny fraction of what was made...

A pic of the serial on the butt plate and pic of the serial on the bayo lug would be nice...

This. Trying not to beat a dead horse but Erma/Feima were very specific about how they went about this. Especially the butt plate would be hard to replicate.

Pictures of the Butt Plate and Bayonet lug. Glad to provide any other pics.

Attachments

• 27 Code #14 Butt Plate #2.jpg
    27 Code #14 Butt Plate #2.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 27 Code #15 Bayo Lug.jpg
    27 Code #15 Bayo Lug.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 43
Interesting. e/37 butt plate on an e block also. Less than 1000 units later. Thoughts anyone?

d block butt.jpge block butt.jpg

BL should be e/280, serial looks off too. The real problem is pictures, clear and close up of the faint (sanded) external markings, the acceptance at the RS, wrist and lower buttstock, more important internal serial and any markings. Here are 2017's, same background and quality, so same owner probably.

Right now i think a probability exist for a replaced stock, BP is good, but that is not evidence of the rest. I will say the external serial looks good which kept me on the fence, but the internal looks counterstruck or re-struck (attached). Stock acceptance is E/280 or e/280 throughout, often, most makers use WaA before the number on some of the stock waffenamt, a humper wouldn't know this probably and most fake stamps I have seen show "WaA280" but none of the external waffenamts are clear but the pictures are poor and in person the owner might be able to be sure.

Really the problem is the sanding and poor quality of the photographs, little things matter, waffenamts of the TD, - I see the waffenamt on the cross bolt, lacking on the BL is not good, but BP is good, do better pictures of all markings and especially internal. I think there is a chance it is good, but the internal serial coupled with no support of the E/H and waffenamts creates doubt.

*** another good clue would be the bandspring, typically it is e/37-numeric serial, further your front band (in picture I have) seem to have no waffenamt on it, that would be unusual, it should be e/280 also, like your rear band... Just small things that could add up to an an educated guess on originality of the parts...

Attachments

• 27 Code #8 stock w serial.jpg
    27 Code #8 stock w serial.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 27 Code #9 stock with H.jpg
    27 Code #9 stock with H.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 98k 27 Code 1940 #1.jpg
    98k 27 Code 1940 #1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 9
  • 98k 27 Code 1940 #2.jpg
    98k 27 Code 1940 #2.jpg