Third Party Press

Ostasiatische Expeditionscorp S98 quill back bayonet

Warrior1354

ax - hole
I will not take a single bit of credit for owning or buying this very special bayonet that goes too my buddy Mike Foley. He was the one that told me about this piece and keeps hooking me up with more cool stuff. And on top of that doesn't come up with any way for me to return the favor. I guess maybe a Waffle House Breakfast at the next SOS show! I'll come up with something one day. But he's making it hard mostly because he has so much cool stuff already! :laugh:

Anyway this piece is marked to the Ostasiatische Expeditionscorps or Imperial East Asian expedition corp and I so wished I had the rifle to go with this special bayonet. Maybe some day but having a cool unit marked quill-back bayonet like this I'm still very please. It came with a scabbard but it was well worn and not matching too it. The bayonet is made by Erfurt in 1900 and unit marked 2.OR.3.175.

Still I'm very happy and it's one of the very few Imperial German Colonial items I own in my collection!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 46
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 23
Not an easy unit mark to find at all. Great snag! I also prefer the SG98 family to the 98/05 in general. Might not be the most durable design but the long sword bayo look is just cool.

Hunting unit marks on Bayos is almost as fun as looking for guns. Lot of cool units have been hitting the market.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Here is another one from the 2. eastasian-infantry-regiment, third company. Also marked W00 and Erfurt.

With kind regards

Vincent

Attachments

• together.jpg
    together.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 30
Congrats Warrior, very nice pick up. Ostasiatisches ExpeditionKorps pieces are tough to find. I have a ReichsRevolver marked to them and when doing research found these couple of sites with good information about the makeup of the Korps, if you are interested. The Korps was composed of troops from all over Germany rather than deploying complete existing Regiments, the 2nd was composed of mostly Saxon troops.

Thanks, Nick

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=58473

and

http://www.boxeraufstand.com/

the second one you will have to use google translator

I will not take a single bit of credit for owning or buying this very special bayonet that goes too my buddy Mike Foley. He was the one that told me about this piece and keeps hooking me up with more cool stuff. And on top of that doesn't come up with any way for me to return the favor. I guess maybe a Waffle House Breakfast at the next SOS show! I'll come up with something one day. But he's making it hard mostly because he has so much cool stuff already! :laugh:

Anyway this piece is marked to the Ostasiatische Expeditionscorps or Imperial East Asian expedition corp and I so wished I had the rifle to go with this special bayonet. Maybe some day but having a cool unit marked quill-back bayonet like this I'm still very please. It came with a scabbard but it was well worn and not matching too it. The bayonet is made by Erfurt in 1900 and unit marked 2.OR.3.175.

Still I'm very happy and it's one of the very few Imperial German Colonial items I own in my collection!

Jordan, thanks for the kind words. I enjoy your & other's here enthusiasm for the militaria we enjoy collecting & sharing....

Jordan, thanks for the kind words. I enjoy your & other's here enthusiasm for the militaria we enjoy collecting & sharing....
Amen to that! I'm glad we still have a nice core here on the forum.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Here is another one from the 2. eastasian-infantry-regiment, third company. Also marked W00 and Erfurt.

With kind regards

Vincent

Wow I can't believe how close my blade is to yours thank you for sharing as well. If you need any specific pictures of my bayonet please let me know be happy to help in your research.

And yes Mike I appreciate everything you've done in my collecting endeavours it has made me very successful in my hunting and the knowledge you have given me is extremely important. I'm still hoping to find the one Gewehr 98 you still need in that big safe of yours! But finding the right one is the key!

Nice, and while the bayonets can be found (all rare of course, 1899-1901 Erfurt's) the rifles are what are really tough. Reportedly Erfurt/99 and Spandau/00 are the best guesses. Vincent's 1900 and another very close (700 rifles apart), both discussed here I believe. Plus JeffN reports an Erfurt/99 in his book.. not sure its condition.

Finding an original rifle, in good condition (or otherwise!) would be really impressive. I agree the study of bayonets and unit markings in particular is very interesting. Carter did good early work on the subject, but about 10-15 years ago I was really into Sg98's and had several unit marked, one a Garde sawback with matched bard, but I have a significant database on all the makers and types. You can really get carried away collecting Sg98's - and go broke during the process...

Since you guys seem to enjoy these east asian unit markings so much, here are two more from my collection:

S98 old pattern: W00, ERFURT, 5. O. R. 1. 43
5. Ostasiatisches Infanterie-Regiment, 1. company, weapon no. 43.

S98 old pattern with sawback, W99, ERFURT, O.E. ?. 49.
Ostasiatisches Eisenbahn-Bataillon, ?. Eisenbahn Bau-Kompanie, weapon no. 49

Talking about bayonets, from my experience the 1.O.R. and 2.O.R. are the "easiest" to find since they stayed the longest in China to form the Ostasiatische Besatzungs-Brigarde until 1906. The regiments 3,4,5 and 6 were demobilized either in 1901 or in 1903 (only for the 3.O.R.).

With kind regards

Vincent

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 14
Since you guys seem to enjoy these east asian unit markings so much, here are two more from my collection:

S98 old pattern: W00, ERFURT, 5. O. R. 1. 43
5. Ostasiatisches Infanterie-Regiment, 1. company, weapon no. 43.

S98 old pattern with sawback, W99, ERFURT, O.E. ?. 49.
Ostasiatisches Eisenbahn-Bataillon, ?. Eisenbahn Bau-Kompanie, weapon no. 49

Talking about bayonets, from my experience the 1.O.R. and 2.O.R. are the "easiest" to find since they stayed the longest in China to form the Ostasiatische Besatzungs-Brigarde until 1906. The regiments 3,4,5 and 6 were demobilized either in 1901 or in 1903 (only for the 3.O.R.).

With kind regards

Vincent

Nice, rare examples. Thanks for sharing the pics & info.

Military Rifle Journal
Back