Third Party Press

$500.00 a good deal?

I would think 500 is fair. It has very little collector value being a RC but I bet it’ll be a decent shooter. 1941 is a good year as production was scaled back with most going to the eastern front did not survive. If it’s you’re first K98k and you want to shoot it, I’d probably jump on it. Even the Yugoslav reworks are fetching 5 bills now.

It's got plenty of collector value. Thats why they've gone from $250 to $700+ on average over the past decade. Are they all matching bringbacks? Absolutely not. But if you're wanting something you know was on the eastern front or if you're not a big spender and or new to the Mauser game, they are very collectible. Not saying you're wrong, just a different opinion.
---

That said, I think in the long run that the removal of the shellac(even if ugly/flaking) will harm value. Sadly others have noted this is a scam but I'd have said $500 was more than fair(and $200 less than I'd guess it would have sold for), it obviously sold for $900 recently(which I'd have said was a bit high but in the end an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it).

The days of $250 RC k98s at AIM surplus are long gone.

Last edited:
Yes, $500 WOULD be a decent price if not a scam. Being that this certainly looks to be a scam, the "great price" is just bait!

Military Rifle Journal
Back