Third Party Press

Question on an SS contract

Do you have our books? I covered that. It’s a transition between early and late SS contacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently this is accepted as a serial numbering anomaly on page 741, Volume llb.
The stock on this rifle appears to be sanded to me and the metal also appears to be cleaned with steel wool or light abrasive. I feel sorry for whoever buys it as an undinked with rifle. Maybe it's just the photos. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong about anything I say.
:facepalm::faint:

Last edited:
I agree with swjxe, it’s not the best looking example. It’s a small window where this variant happens. The bad part of it is authenticating them. I will say though, I’ve seen so many “errors” on SS contract gun serial numbering that it’s impossible to say it’s an exact science. You really also need to look at the parts and decide if they are the correct type and patina matches. But, there are clear trends that follow your initial feelings about it (numbered triggerguard = unnumbered bands & numbered floorplate = numbered bands) so you weren’t wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike,
It's not every day that I can get someone to agree with me. I usually only get to hear the sound of crickets.
:happy0180:

Military Rifle Journal
Back