Third Party Press

Help Wanted: DOU 42 G.24(t) Restoration

CRMausr7

Hi all,

I have a sporterized DOU 42 G.24(t) that I picked up a few months ago and am currently in the process of restoring. However, the rifle's receiver has been severely molested; it's been drilled and tapped in four places for a scope mount, modified to accommodate a bent bolt handle, and the stripper clip guide has been ground down and re-contoured to match the rear receiver bridge. I'm looking for someone that can at least undo or otherwise fix these alterations, while still allowing me to safely shoot the rifle. Thanks.

P.S. I can supply pictures of the receiver in question.

Hi all,

I have a sporterized DOU 42 G.24(t) that I picked up a few months ago and am currently in the process of restoring. However, the rifle's receiver has been severely molested; it's been drilled and tapped in four places for a scope mount, modified to accommodate a bent bolt handle, and the stripper clip guide has been ground down and re-contoured to match the rear receiver bridge. I'm looking for someone that can at least undo or otherwise fix these alterations, while still allowing me to safely shoot the rifle. Thanks.

P.S. I can supply pictures of the receiver in question.

Nobody is more of a sucker for restoration projects than me, but the modifications you describe would be very difficult to fix, many time the value of the rifle. You could buy a pretty nice G.24T for less than the cost of the professional welding/machine work that your rifle would need.

Nobody is more of a sucker for restoration projects than me, but the modifications you describe would be very difficult to fix, many time the value of the rifle. You could buy a pretty nice G.24T for less than the cost of the professional welding/machine work that your rifle would need.
The way I look at it, there'll be one less sporterized rifle floating around out there, and one more intact G.24(t) in the collector's circle. G.24(t)s aren't getting any easier to find, and I have all of the parts to rebuild this rifle. Also, I think I may have found someone to repair the ground down rear receiver bridge, by splicing in an undamaged matching section from a demilled VZ 24 receiver. Rob Applegate at Apfeltor waffenfabrik (better known for his work on G/K43s) has said he might be able to do it, but he's pretty swamped right now so it may be a little while before I send it in.

Putting nice usable parts on a welded and butchered rifle seems like a waste of good parts. I’d start looking for another action or by selling those parts for high dollar and just buying another gun.

Military Rifle Journal
Back