Third Party Press

P38 depot question

Missourigunguy

I’m not around any of my reading materials at the moment . I want to know if there are depots where a p38 may have an unmarked barrel from a different maker?

Unmarked meaning unserialzed? That doesn't sound right. Who is the original maker?

I have only seen a handful of depot marked p38s, kind of uncommon. Would like to see photos if you have them.

For some reason I can't get that link to work, I think some may have been clipped off.

Is it a thread from today in the military handgun section or is it an older thread?

Does not sound promising but I would like to see it.

Well I was just informed the locking block does have a number. Any idea? Something that some GI did or someone state side... Idea on cost?

That barrel has a rejection stamp on it. I highly doubt that was a depot replacement. It was initially rejected at the factory and then something was done to it to pass inspection a second time. I am guessing that it was a installed post war. What number is on the locking block?

That barrel has a rejection stamp on it. I highly doubt that was a depot replacement. It was initially rejected at the factory and then something was done to it to pass inspection a second time. I am guessing that it was a installed post war. What number is on the locking block?

Locking block number is 769 v

Locking block number is 769 v

I looked at the barrel again. It is stamped with BH for the Bundesheer. After the war this P38 spent time with the Austrian Army. It could have been imported before the ATF required import stamps or it has a small import stamps somewhere that is not immediately recognized. I am 100% certain that this is not a depot repair. It probably had a corroded original barrel and was reworked by the Austrian Army with parts that were available. Austrians weren't driven to number/renumber everything as the Germans were. This is more collectable than a mismatch as the time spent in the Bundesheer gives it some history but wont pull in the same kind of money that a full matching AC42 would. After a little more thought, I am leaning towards the barrel being replaced post war by someone and using a BH barrel. Most BH P38's usually have BH stamped on the frame. Bottom line is this was all done post war.

Last edited:
I looked at the barrel again. It is stamped with BH for the Bundesheer. After the war this P38 spent time with the Austrian Army. It could have been imported before the ATF required import stamps or it has a small import stamps somewhere that is not immediately recognized. I am 100% certain that this is not a depot repair. It probably had a corroded original barrel and was reworked by the Austrian Army with parts that were available. Austrians weren't driven to number/renumber everything as the Germans were. This is more collectable than a mismatch as the time spent in the Bundesheer gives it some history but wont pull in the same kind of money that a full matching AC42 would. After a little more thought, I am leaning towards the barrel being replaced post war by someone and using a BH barrel. Most BH P38's usually have BH stamped on the frame. Bottom line is this was all done post war.

Interesting. Thanks. I did make an offer for the p38 but for it being a mismatch. I will be picking it up tomorrow. When I get it, i'll take it down and look for more stamps and post pictures.

Military Rifle Journal
Back