Third Party Press

More auction madness....

..I try not to read any comments and just look at the pictures to see what I can find that doesn’t look right. Kind of like a little quiz for me in a way. Always nice to have a group where I can ask questions and get some feedback from a very knowledgeable group.

Yes it's a great little game and an excellent way to sharpen your eye for what looks right.

I've made a couple mistakes on GB as you all know, but luckily I didn't lose a penny in the process.

I've been on there lately in my spare time just looking through various rifles, with volumes 1 through 2b opened up, and looking at the markings. Not in the interest of buying, I gave up on that, but rather to observe. Just the other day I found no less than 6 rifles on the site that were completely wrong.

They all have one thing in common, carnival barked "history lessons" in the descriptions. Seems like their marketing to people that just put down Call of Duty (video game) or Saving Private Ryan, and just HAVE to have that 98k.

The craziest thing is the $3K rifle comes with a mismatched bolt and the stock is replaced also... not a factory stock, not externally serialed either, - the stock could be period, probably is, but this guy really got screwed...

$800? EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS? FOR A MOSIN? I am unsure whether it's a failure or a success that there are this many idiots with this much disposable income to throw away in a capitalist country.

Attachments

• gyazo.jpg
    gyazo.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 58
$800? EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS? FOR A MOSIN? I am unsure whether it's a failure or a success that there are this many idiots with this much disposable income to throw away in a capitalist country.

"Mosin" is a very generic term. There are several "Mosins" that would sell for this price and higher. The problem is so many Russian collectors are uneducated on what factory original rifles are. So they assume all "Mosins" are worth the same as their crappy post war refurb "Mosin" that they got at Big 5 for $99.

Please provide a link to the auction. Was it a factory matching 1944 M44? Or a refurb? I can insure you that if it was factory original then $800 was a good price. Maybe even low.

People ARE entitled to piss their money away on whatever they wish.

After all it is their money.

One man's Turd, is another man's Treasure !!!!!!

Hell I was looking through Rock Island the other night somebody spent $80,000 for an mg42 with tripod. I've learned over the years if somebody really wants something will pay whatever the price or more for an item.

Hell I was looking through Rock Island the other night somebody spent $80,000 for an mg42 with tripod. I've learned over the years if somebody really wants something will pay whatever the price or more for an item.

It's Rock Island... The clientele that participates in their auctions have so much money they don't care what they pay for something. For example, a few months ago a Sig M17 Surplus went for $4500 + 900 BP = $5400... nothing special about it... mid 5000 S/N #. They could have gone on Gunbroker and gotten a better serial for $1,500.....

------------------

I don't even look on Gunbroker for K98s anymore... too depressing... As Hambone has previously brought up multiple times (with evidence) these rifles that sell for way over their value are ALWAYS bidded up by NR or low review count buyers....

"Mosin" is a very generic term. There are several "Mosins" that would sell for this price and higher. The problem is so many Russian collectors are uneducated on what factory original rifles are. So they assume all "Mosins" are worth the same as their crappy post war refurb "Mosin" that they got at Big 5 for $99.

Please provide a link to the auction. Was it a factory matching 1944 M44? Or a refurb? I can insure you that if it was factory original then $800 was a good price. Maybe even low.

Kampfy just posted the link to the auction here. It was definitely not worth $800...

The winner of that also just purchased a $2000 micheals mauser as well, so he obviously has more money than sense. A 2 min search of micheals mauser would tell you everything you need to know, even the completely uneducated would know better. As they say, a fool and his money....

Going through his feedback history, within only the last two months the guy purchased a WASR-10 for $900, a PSL for $2000, that Mitchell's Mauser for $2000, and now this mosin for $2500. Definitely sitting on top of more cash than he knows what to do with.

Going through his feedback history, within only the last two months the guy purchased a WASR-10 for $900, a PSL for $2000, that Mitchell's Mauser for $2000, and now this mosin for $2500. Definitely sitting on top of more cash than he knows what to do with.

From different sellers or the same seller? Could be shrill bidding....

The craziest thing is the $3K rifle comes with a mismatched bolt and the stock is replaced also... not a factory stock, not externally serialed either, - the stock could be period, probably is, but this guy really got screwed...
The funny thing is this guy was on a FB group making an a$$ of himself and telling several forum members we don't understand the market and no way he paid triple the FMV

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

He is right at least as to the “market” that he participates in. I indeed do not understand it. By virtue of being a member here and heeding information provided here one removes themselves from that guy’s “market.”

The funny thing is this guy was on a FB group making an a$$ of himself and telling several forum members we don't understand the market and no way he paid triple the FMV

I was one of the guys that broke the news to him lol. He went to the "there aren't any K98s under $xxxx." All he sees are beat up ones for $1600. I told him there are plenty out there, you just need to have paitience and look in the right places. Gunbroker isn't one of them.

They are out there you just have to be patient but I'll be honest I don't think I've ever paid $3,000 for one of my k98k rifles. Most of the guns in my collection I own are all matching I think the most I ever paid was $2500 and that's about it. Granted I don't have a problem paying a large amount of money for something I really want if it's original and matching but to pay $3,000 for a mismatched rifle that's maybe worth 1100 give me a break. That gentleman was upset because he didn't know what he was buying and two thought he got a great deal and in reality he didn't and doesn't like to hear the bad news.

They are out there you just have to be patient but I'll be honest I don't think I've ever paid $3,000 for one of my k98k rifles. Most of the guns in my collection I own are all matching I think the most I ever paid was $2500 and that's about it. Granted I don't have a problem paying a large amount of money for something I really want if it's original and matching but to pay $3,000 for a mismatched rifle that's maybe worth 1100 give me a break. That gentleman was upset because he didn't know what he was buying and two thought he got a great deal and in reality he didn't and doesn't like to hear the bad news.
You are generous to call him a gentleman Jordan. I would be less kind in my description based on what he said to some folks.

Military Rifle Journal
Back