Third Party Press

Franken Monster CE 44

Hope those photos helped further ID the rifle. Walnut stock has a matching serial inside the bore channel. "5740." Waffenamts on smaller pieces, sight leaf, slider are "37."

My photo compressor can get to 500kb. Otherwise I have to go over 1mb which errors out on upload.

Post a photo of the stock serial number. Would be very unusual for a sauer this late to be in walnut but certainly not impossible.

Stock Markings

Post a photo of the stock serial number. Would be very unusual for a sauer this late to be in walnut but certainly not impossible.

Herewith the bore channel w serial. Forgery? Stock has been sanded. In some places atrociously so. Nevertheless, very faint Heer and Eagle still visible on the buttstock.

Attachments

• 20200915_151822.jpg
    20200915_151822.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200915_151920.jpg
    20200915_151920.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200915_151827.jpg
    20200915_151827.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 27
As you say the stock has been messed with pretty hard but I dare say those serial numbers look legit. Very cool, and definitely not a frankenmauser

As you say the stock has been messed with pretty hard but I dare say those serial numbers look legit. Very cool, and definitely not a frankenmauser

Nice. Got it out of a PA auction not long ago. Just a couple of crappy photos to go by. But description said bore was strong (it is), and I wanted a shooter. The markings as you know, not my forte. Happy its found a home. I'll take care of it.

That stock has been sanded badly, as well as finished glossy. That makes it tough to evaluate whether the serial in the barrel channel that also seems to be deeply struck is legit or reapplied. The font being used however looks correct. It would be easier if you could measure the diameter of the takedown disc. Sauer used 25mm diameter whereas all others used 30mm. Additionally your stock should have an Eagle 37 acceptance on the heel, maybe already gone due to sanding.

The serial of your rifle by the way is "5740s". This makes your rifle an extremely late one. Highest Sauer 1944 serial observed per Bruce and Steve is 230y. WaA280 on the receiver indicates production by Erma, what would be correct for the very early LSR sniper rifles. The first LSR sniper rifles appearing shortly afterwards, so I do think it is likely that this rifle was prepared for the LSR mount from factory, but finished as a service rifle and not someone messing around with it.

Since you had asked on your rear barrel band: you can simply pull it off, turn it 180 degrees, and reinstall it. Then you should have the serial atop and not on bottom. As it should be.

At worst you have a bolt and stock mismatch rifle with an original long side rail receiver action. At best you have a bolt mismatch long side rail receiver rifle. Both are very promising and you can be very happy with owning it. I wouldn't mind having one like this, so if you ever part with it, send me a PM.

Measurement of Stock Disk et al.

Thanks very much for follow-up.

Shame about the stock. Is what it is though. I took a rudimentary measurement with a tape measure here (not calipers). The stock disk as close as I can tell is 30mm.

Ironically, I have a R/C 1940 660 code sitting here as well and it's stock disk measured out at 25mm.

You made me laugh, literally. Turn the barrel band around so it's on top. Ummm. Why is it that the most obvious and simplest of solutions often evades us (or at least me). A good Homer Simpson "D'oh!" moment. Thanks. :)

I guess I need to brush up on my German "cursive" as well. A "s?" Would never have guessed. I thought it was a "p." :) Thanks again.

Appreciate everyone taking the time to look and identify the individual parts and explaining what I had. Special thanks to Rob for setting me straight on a couple of things. 👍

Again, my thanks. Great forum.

Military Rifle Journal
Back