Third Party Press

Sniper Rifle for Review

DougO

A friend of mine is an older collector with a large gun collection. He is getting up in years and looking to sell down over time.
He has offered to sell me a number of guns including this sniper rifle. I would appreciate any input on it.
Thanks in advance, Doug

Attachments

• Sniper1.jpg
    Sniper1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Sniper2.jpg
    Sniper2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Sniper3.jpg
    Sniper3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Sniper4.jpg
    Sniper4.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Snipe1.jpg
    Snipe1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_5261.jpg
    IMG_5261.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5262.jpg
    IMG_5262.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5264.jpg
    IMG_5264.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5265.jpg
    IMG_5265.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 109
A friend of mine is an older collector with a large gun collection. He is getting up in years and looking to sell down over time.
He has offered to sell me a number of guns including this sniper rifle. I would appreciate any input on it.
Thanks in advance, Doug

I like what I see so far. Looks like a byf45 a block High Turret , you’ll need to post some more (specific photos) it’s missing it’s final proof on left side.

Please let me know what pictures are needed and I'll try to get them.
Any advice on value would be appreciated as well.
Thanks, Doug

this is one for discussion for sure.. A block where most show up in the no-letter block No e/135 added sniper proof mark ? I do like the hand stamped serial # added to the barrel which would be correct.

Checkered butt plate ?

HT

I have seen one missing the proof before, but I’m not really a huge fan. More solder usually this late. Other small appearance things. I am getting pickier though. I just don’t find it appealing.

svw45 HT

This is more than likely one of the last high turrets assembled at Mauser Oberndorf.
Serial number range puts it in the 'svw45' code range.

Also appears to have a 'c' stock based on profile and sanding patterns.

One of our members purchased a late byf45 turret without that final receiver E/135 acceptance.

Base on the images, this gun looks promising. If you can have your buddy take the action out of
the stock, we would expect an assembler number stamped below the stock line.

In addition, the small assembly stamps on the tang and front base should be present.

This has the potential to be an outstanding example and one of the last assembled.

Last edited:
I have seen one missing the proof before, but I’m not really a huge fan. More solder usually this late. Other small appearance things. I am getting pickier though. I just don’t find it appealing.

This is more than likely one of the last high turrets assembled at Mauser Oberndorf.
Serial number range puts it in the 'svw45' code range.

Also appears to have a 'c' stock base on profile and sanding patterns.

One of our members purchased a late byf45 turret without that final receiver E/135 acceptance.

Base on the images, this gun looks promising. If you can have your buddy take the action out of
the stock, we would expect an assembler number stamped below the stock line.

In addition, the small assembly stamps on the tang and front base should be present.

This has the potential to be an outstanding example and one of the last assembled.
Two different takes. I agree with Bruce on this one. The only way a SVW45 rifles gets a serial number on the barrel is if it’s a sniper. I think this rifle has a good chance of being a legit high turret.

Two different takes. I agree with Bruce on this one. The only way a SVW45 rifles gets a serial number on the barrel is if it’s a sniper. I think this rifle has a good chance of being a legit high turret.

Yes, I am not an acclaimed author and do not have Bruce's level of experience. I definitely see your point. Get more pictures for sure. Even if those pictures show all the perfect details one would want to see not already shown, I'm still just not personally a fan. If I were spending my money then I would get one with all the appearance type markings and aspects that go with a typical BYF High Turret. Just would bug me. As I said I'm getting picky. I don't like late war High Turrets without solder splash that looks sloppier than this one (restored?). I also personally would not buy one without a WaA 135 sniper proof. Yes, I've seen the photos of the one without the WaA 135 proof that all have said is real. I have several now and don't care to have one that I personally don't consider perfect. I hesitated to say anything, but I'm sure it is a lot of money, so I did anyway. I probably should have minded my own business. Sorry. I just don't like it.

Last edited:
Yes, I am not an acclaimed author and do not have Bruce's level of experience. I definitely see your point. Get more pictures for sure. Even if those pictures show all the perfect details one would want to see not already shown, I'm still just not personally a fan. If I were spending my money then I would get one with all the appearance type markings and aspects that go with a typical BYF High Turret. Just would bug me. As I said I'm getting picky. I don't like late war High Turrets without solder splash that looks sloppier than this one(restored?). I also personally would not buy one without a WaA 135 sniper proof. Yes, I've seen the photos of the one without the WaA 135 proof that all have said is real. I have several now and don't care to have one that I personally don't consider perfect. I hesitated to say anything, but I'm sure it is a lot of money, so I did anyway.

O.k. thanks

Yes, I am not an acclaimed author and do not have Bruce's level of experience. I definitely see your point. Get more pictures for sure. Even if those pictures show all the perfect details one would want to see not already shown, I'm still just not personally a fan. If I were spending my money then I would get one with all the appearance type markings and aspects that go with a typical BYF High Turret. Just would bug me. As I said I'm getting picky. I don't like late war High Turrets without solder splash that looks sloppier than this one (restored?). I also personally would not buy one without a WaA 135 sniper proof. Yes, I've seen the photos of the one without the WaA 135 proof that all have said is real. I have several now and don't care to have one that I personally don't consider perfect. I hesitated to say anything, but I'm sure it is a lot of money, so I did anyway. I probably should have minded my own business. Sorry. I just don't like it.

Nobody expects everyone that responds to a thread to be an acclaimed author and to have a certain point of view. So if your take isn’t what someone else is you feel you should mind your own business? You’re very defensive about Bruce’s opinion on this, just have your opinion and be patient, the evidence is still forthcoming- you could be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current thread

Brian, I am only calling this one based on what I see from those images, and from what I see its good.
Now I could be totally wrong and you are correct in that we need additional images for complete certainty.

Your opinion is valued here and don't hesitate to forward an opinion.

Heck just go the the dumpster fire and look at my daily crucifixion!

I will play mediator.. I understand where Brian is coming from. As textbook correct is always the safest way to go. But, also we have yet to see the rest of the rifle. So , lets play it safe.

Just seeing the font and the way the barrel is hand stamped looks correct. The Rifle could be a resto ? We have to wait for the rest of the photos.... As the end result is to help the poster with his purchase.

I'm not sure if the complement or statement of Bruce's credentials was being sarcastic or not ? Its often hard to judge these things.

I for one Know if anyone's opinion meant more on the subject or Mauser Oberndorf rifles in general Sniper or non it would be Bruce's . The man has spent more time on that subject than any other here X 10 .

We are all here to share are knowledge freely and differing opinions on such a rare rifle with non-typical marks or not should be held in suspicion till all of it can be seen. M2cents

Nobody expects everyone that responds to a thread to be an acclaimed author and to have a certain point of view. So if your take isn’t what someone else is you feel you should mind your own business? You’re very defensive about Bruce’s opinion on this, just have your opinion and be patient, the evidence is still forthcoming- you could be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not defensive. Although I try to be careful what I post for public consumption. I did not want to see someone get taken and at the same time I did not want to overly insult someone’s prize. Also, did not want to seem as if I know more than Bruce. I know for sure I don’t. Maybe the rifle looks better in person. I’m just trying to avoid this exact scenario.

Last edited:
Brian, I am only calling this one based on what I see from those images, and from what I see its good.
Now I could be totally wrong and you are correct in that we need additional images for complete certainty.

Your opinion is valued here and don't hesitate to forward an opinion.

Heck just go the the dumpster fire and look at my daily crucifixion!

Sorry Bruce. I meant no sarcasm at all. I respect your knowledge. You know that. I’m sure. I just would not personally be all that excited about this gun. I only would consider a perfect gun personally. Maybe it’s right and never restored. I just don’t like it. Thanks for all the info and help over the years. It’s been a great time. So, I meant nothing negative towards anyone here.

Current thread

Brian the respect goes both ways my friend. I always appreciate your input and insight into the sniper variants.
Looking forward to more discussion on this example, and hopefully more images!

Damian pointed this HT out to me the night it was posted , Hell he was so excited about seeing it he called me at 12:35 that night , Woke me out of a Dead Sleep . IMO I really like examples with these anomalies , I suspect most newbie collectors would not like a sniper rifle with such an anomaly or anomalies they want your basic textbook example . But for some collectors or more seasoned/advanced collectors this type of rifle is just the ticket I am not saying this to be arrogant just making a point . A collector first has to feel comfortable with what your buying and also like it . First hand look at the HT I thought it looked very promising other than the fact it had no final 135 proof and that more photos would certainly be needed to verify if it is original or not . I am looking forward to more detailed photos .

Oh come now Dave you called me at almost 11 p.m. at night when I was relaxing in my hotel room after the ogca show on Friday lol!

Those are the best phone calls talking about gun deals and cool stuff!

Current thread

One note of caution on this rifle.
Some 20 years ago, I became aware of a "restored" svw45 turret. The rifle was an original turret that was sporterized.
In the process the stock was replaced but I am unsure of whether or not the buttplate was correct.

Thats why its critical to get more images. I believe the rifle was sold to Mike Wamsher and from there I do not know where it went.

Military Rifle Journal
Back