Third Party Press

Unfortunate sporter

jfrench92

Great grandfather was in the Signal corps. To make a long story short he brought home a luger and i believe he brought home this mauser. I'm not sure exactly when but sometime after the korean war he traded the Luger to a friend of his who was a gun smith to sporterize the Kar 98. (Unfortunate i know but he wanted a nice hunting rifle and got one out of it) Everything left of the mauser has matching parts besides the bolt. All i'm looking to ask here is this a Kar 98a with a k98k bolt slapped in it? These pictures are from a while ago didn't get the best ones but the "26" is all over the gun even down to the screws but the bolt does not match. The receiver was tapped for the peep sight :(. Regardless it's a family heirloom and the bore is wonderful shoots as true as can be! (Didn't know the pictures were that terrible) I know sporters are laughed upon just wondering what i have here. The barrel is stepped not tapered which im sure is obvious to you guys with everything else stated. Sorry to be "this guy" i'm sure these a lot of people with the same question... Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 50
  • GUN YES 1.jpg
    GUN YES 1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 37
  • GUN YES 2.jpg
    GUN YES 2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 47
  • GUN yes 3.jpg
    GUN yes 3.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 40
  • GUN yes 4.jpg
    GUN yes 4.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Give time for replies, I saw this lastnight but didn't have time to reply... nothing wrong with the rifle, it served your GGF well and at least survived the war... most didn't. These made handy little hunting rifles and I have owned several and still own one. It is a shame he picked a pre-war, but it is property marked so not a real tragedy..

The bolt is a 98k bolt, would need more pictures to tell what it came out of, but 98k.. the acceptance pattern would tell the maker. Underside of the bolt handle is a good spot to photograph to tell. Do a picture of the right side of the receiver, and any barrel markings. It might tell more of a story...

Military Rifle Journal
Back