Third Party Press

Rare Subcontracted rg34 Hülsenkopfwischer

Slash

Gray Ghost Moderator
Staff member
Two examples of the rarely encountered hülsenkopfwischer from subcontractor Wittig und Schwabe Metallwarenfabrik of Lengefeld. Only a very small number of these HKW have been reported all dated 1941. One of these was found in a ftd can, the other from an arr42. Note the high quality and how deeply the adf code and 41 are stamped. Wittig & Schwabe was known for manufacturing small metal parts such as washers and also produced military cable/wire hand spools. The firm remained in business after the hostilities crafting light fixtures and lamps.

Attachments

• IMG_5151.jpg
    IMG_5151.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5153.jpg
    IMG_5153.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5155.jpg
    IMG_5155.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5157.jpg
    IMG_5157.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5159.jpg
    IMG_5159.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 90
I am fortunate to have one myself, but Slash, you are twice blessed! Nice pair of adf|41 HKWs to be sure and thanks for mentioning the Behalter they turned up in...

Last edited:
These Hülsenkopfwischers show unique characteristics and honestly, I don't like them and have many doubts.
Fonts of letters and numbers are atypical, the markings stamped very close to the plug, in two rows and crosswise, some small diferences in manufacturing...
Personally I have never found or seen an "adf 41" tool inside a kit and only saw them before through a German collector a few years ago and now here.

Antoni

Attachments

• IMG_5157.jpg
    IMG_5157.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 35
These Hülsenkopfwischers show unique characteristics and honestly, I don't like them and have many doubts.

I agree that they show unique characteristics. To each his own. I like them a lot .....

The font in My opinion is clearly a German style font. Theres near ZERO return on faking these....what would you get? No one is going to pay big dollars to correct a 41/42 kit.

Maybe it’s something like replacement parts. As we’ve seen with 98k some of the armorer replacement parts are marked a lot differently then regular parts.

I find this style of font very unusual in the German secret letter codes and also to stamp the markings near the pin is not a good idea, as this is the weak point of the Hülsenkopfwischer.
Has anybody seen this adf code on other pieces of German equipment ?

Antoni

One point worth considering is this...taken from my observations: The HWKs most encountered with falsch markings appear to be those with the "long pin". Though believed to be of later WW2 vintage, my take is either this same pattern was re-utilized from wartime left-overs and/or made after WW2, as one of those supplied in the earlier W. German Rg34s. Because these tools were available in Europe until recently, they became fodder for fakery. I recall seeing them on Ebay and know there is a thread on this forum where these HKWs were discussed, pictured and the markings exposed as bogus (Found/see post# 13). I agree with CanadianAR that to make these HKWs new would not be cost-effective. The "adf" is not of the pattern of those tools.

One more observation: The bogus marked tools were done so with a die stamp "after the fact". This resulted in a sharp (to the touch) imprint with the metal raised around the letters/numbers. Though markings can be either stamped or "impressed" into the metal when formed, in doing so, the result is typically a "soft" appearance with clear markings and no displaced, raised metal ridges around the characters. Markings applied to components like the RGK swivel boss, because of the limited area available and round shape, are a different issue to deal with.

Last edited:
To dismiss it due to something you can’t prove seems wrong. Look at the e/280 receivers on k98k. Mod.98 in gothic script. No one else marked them like this at any time. On k98k anyways. It’s an oddball, but correct in every way. Or the bsw logo. Did not conform to rules or regs at all. But somehow got through. And that little script BSW showed up on ALOT of stuff. It does t match any other type of marking on an mg belt for instance but it’s still 100% correct. I don’t own one of these tools so have no dog in the fight except my
Opinion .

Here another adf/41 tool, note the crude manufacture of the eye for the Reinigungsdochte.
Take in mind that the tool was used for to clean the Hülsenkopf of the Mod.98 weapons. IMHO too crude for a tool made in 1941.

Antoni

Attachments

• adf1941.jpg
    adf1941.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 50
Here another adf/41 tool, note the crude manufacture of the eye for the Reinigungsdochte.
Take in mind that the tool was used for to clean the Hülsenkopf of the Mod.98 weapons. IMHO too crude for a tool made in 1941.
Antoni

Yes, the end of the HKW looks crude, but this could be a manufacturing fault or the tool having received other damage. Perhaps this may also be a reason for the scarcity of this manufacturer. If the tool was found to be inferior in quality, the production contract could have been terminated. Spoke with a friend and Rg34 collector yesterday and his recollection was first seeing a adf|41 coded HKW sometime in the 1980s.

Can you post a good quality photo of the markings on that one?

Sorry, the tool is not mine. A collector sent me this photo in 2015. I asked for more detailed photos but received no response.

Antoni

Attachments

• adf1941c.jpg
    adf1941c.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 28
bonsoir

this code is not a subcontractor code for RG34.
I don't like their manufacture and strangely enough these tools are mostly found in the United States.
Nothing with this marking was found in europe ???
for me it's bad reproductions.

Cdt
Patrick

bonsoir

this code is not a subcontractor code for RG34.
I don't like their manufacture and strangely enough these tools are mostly found in the United States.
Nothing with this marking was found in europe ???
for me it's bad reproductions.

Cdt
Patrick

Thanks for your declarations Patrick. In response to your comments; one of the adf41 HKW (the one that came in the fdt kit) came from a German dealer (ebay.de) about 20 years ago. As stated earlier, to each his own. I like the tools.

Military Rifle Journal
Back