Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M40 Calvary Tunic Question

Default M40 Calvary Tunic Question

So I am no uniform expert, a friend of mine and fellow collector is moving to a new duty station and was wondering if I was interested in his M40 Captains Tunic. He's has been in postilion of this uniform for the past five years or so and told me he bought it from a dealer who did not check the pockets where he found a pencil, some notes, and an Italian advertisement. So what I know about this uniform, it belonged to a Captain, Grass Green Color with Yellow Boarder on the shoulder Board denoting Calvary, the buttons all seen to match to the same manufacturer, the uniform is tailor made. What I'm concerned about is the breast eagle. My buddy knows I like the uniform so he is willing to trade about $1,000 in smalls that he'll sell for cash to a third party. I like to know your thoughts on the Tunic, real/fake/humped? Also sorry for my poor picture I took them hold my son who not one yet one, if you need more pictures please ask.

Thanks Again

God Bless
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any tailor label? Officer uniforms are usually either conversions of issue uniforms or tailor made. That a dealer didn’t check the pockets is a bit farfetched ;) The pics don’t show significant details, such as the entire interior, closeups of the breast eagle outside and in, etc. That price seems about retail for an all original example.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

No tailor label, do you want close up pictures of breast eagle and the liner? There was no stick marks coming through the liner, is there a way to pull the liner back to show stick work? Also do you think this is a M40 repurposed for officer use?

Thanks Hambone

Branch color looks like lemon yellow (signal/communication), not golden yellow (cavalry).

Default Agreed

I agree, looks more like a signal tunic to me as well.

Driving next to a Crown Vic with a paper tag

The eagle's fine. Can you show pics of interior stitch work on the cuffs? I'm not convinced this is a conversion. Better liner pics would help too. Take very close up pics of the wool vs. lining, especially the sleeve lining. Using an original blank canvas is not out of the question on this one, my personal opinion. It is a handsome rig I must admit. Curious about size too.
    Taschen Billiard

Driving next to a Crown Vic with a paper tag

Looking at the pics, I've already changed my mind. This is an original rig. Not sure about the ribbon bar being original to this jacket as that would be impossible to tell. If this were a factory M40 the lower pockets would be bellowed. I'd bet this is a factory made officer's field jacket. The badge cloth collar could have been factory or replaced by a tailor. I'd also like to see an interior pic of shoulder stitching around the shoulder boards.
    Last edited by iron bender; 09-24-2020 at 12:07 AM.
    Taschen Billiard

It's not a conversion, the enlisted/NCO tunic wouldn't have the seam up the back.

Get and show better photos of the interior

I'll post more pictures this Sunday, the collar and sticking, the interior, the breast eagle, the solder board sticking inside the tunic, any markings i can find and a photos of it in natural light for the collar and shoulder boards. Thanks to everyone, this is a great learning experience.

God Bless