Third Party Press

Leather Slings: Beef or Pork?

Bob in OHIO

I know some German holsters were made from pig leather, which are less common. I wonder about slings as that's a long piece of skin. The attached pic (note pores in the leather) suggests this may be from pig. Thoughts?

Attachments

• hog,leather0.jpg
    hog,leather0.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 97
It does look like pigskin with those pores. I am sure there are some experts out there with knowledge on sling production who will be able to let us know.

you boys must be city slickers!
Hogs raised for meat can grow quite large, similar to a large steer/bull. Pork is also the most common table meat in Europe today, because it requires less feed & space for more kilos of edible products than cattle.
As that depends on the animals’ characteristics, I’m “pretty sure” that was the case 100years ago in Europe. & technically speaking, ALL tanned animal skin is “leather”, whether bovine or ostrich........
I can’t think of many reasons why a Christian based country WOULDN’T use every available resource in wartime, particularly if one of those was relatively plentiful. There are certainly differences in quality & sensible uses of different kinds of leathers that would affect their use for anyparticular purpose, say for slings and pouches, belts & boots.

just my $.02

you boys must be city slickers! Hogs raised for meat can grow quite large, similar to a large steer/bull. ....just my $.02

As you know, swine production typically "ends" when the hogs are about 250 lbs, while sows & boars can become giants. A 250# hog may yield leather long enough, but still the question remains whether the sling shown is from a bovine or hog?

the wrinkly texture could be from either, but I’ll have to agree w/JohnStanley, the hair pores do look porcine.

Looking at the pics on the link from hambone I would say veg tanned cow hide. If you blow the larger section up it looks more like it then pork to me.

Military Rifle Journal
Back