Third Party Press

K98 asw42

mercury

I was offered this by a collector for 80 dollars shipped. The scabbard seems to be unmarked. But has waffenamt marks on the tip of the scabbard.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 22
Yes same opinion, the german bayonet S84/98 is ok , K98 dont exist, as Karabiner 98 means a Carbine 98, anyway even dont exist designation as bayonet K98k, which is used on standart rifle of Wehrmacht. On the Kar98k were used variety of german and captured bayonets.
Most real there is a replacement scabbard, when not matched together with bayonet. Not good picture for saying details about scabbard.

I will post better pics when I get the bayonet in hand. Are you saying that when its unnumbered it could be a replacement in that the original was lost or damaged and this would be a replacement to get it back in the field? I guess what I am asking is it could be a war time replacement?

hard to say on this pictures, but i believe the scabbard is earlier as the bayonet, it could be from a portugal contract undelivered or from a Waffenmeister kit set, as replacement scabbard, is hard to say its replacement for lost scabbard as the bayonet is not heavy used, more a depot piece.

hard to say on this pictures, but i believe the scabbard is earlier as the bayonet, it could be from a portugal contract undelivered or from a Waffenmeister kit set, as replacement scabbard, is hard to say its replacement for lost scabbard as the bayonet is not heavy used, more a depot piece.

The Scabbard tip is waffenamt marked.

Nice unsharpened blade, pommel looks to be in good condition as well as the wooden grips. For $80 shipped I think that's a good deal!

Nice unsharpened blade, pommel looks to be in good condition as well as the wooden grips. For $80 shipped I think that's a good deal!
This and the scabbard looks to be in good condition as well. The WaA on the finial is probably 883 and was used on asw 40-42.

Last edited:
This and the scabbard looks to be in good condition as well. The WaA on the finial is probably 883 and was used on asw 40-42.

Scabbard did look nice as well. Would like to see more photos of the bayonet once it arrives with different lighting.

Military Rifle Journal
Back