Third Party Press

Dialytan 4x Scope identification assistance

bigpappap

Hello,

I would be most grateful with some assistance with the identification of a scope.

Hoping these pics can be reviewed by a seasoned collector or a person with good understanding of these optics.

Point is to validate how authentic this scope is. Noting, the screw down turret base, no serial number to the scope in the traditional location and the markings / stampings.

Many thanks to all, looking forward to your advice.

Attachments

• 1B54B7B6-5BED-47D2-BE3E-3403EDAEE6DE.jpg
    1B54B7B6-5BED-47D2-BE3E-3403EDAEE6DE.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 96
  • EDEB05BC-55D5-416C-B1C1-2E3377B1447C.jpg
    EDEB05BC-55D5-416C-B1C1-2E3377B1447C.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 86
This Scope set is NOT Original , it is a FAKE/REPRODUCTION assembly . Post War collector put together . I suspect the seller hails from Poland ???? .

If You look at this photo you will notice leather case on right side just behind this case is the Scope Set in question . Take notice of all the other Sets shown most if not all are FAKE/POST WAR assemblies . I have yet to see this person offer any Completely Original Scope Sets , yet he claims all offering to 100% Original WW2 . This sellers items have been discussed here a few times

Attachments

• 600.jpg
    600.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Hello,

I would be most grateful with some assistance with the identification of a scope.

Hoping these pics can be reviewed by a seasoned collector or a person with good understanding of these optics.

Point is to validate how authentic this scope is. Noting, the screw down turret base, no serial number to the scope in the traditional location and the markings / stampings.

Many thanks to all, looking forward to your advice.

Looks like it was put together post war. Hard to say from just these photos if any of it could be an individual original part (like the rings) that was enhanced into what it is now, but what you show is not really like any original combination that the Germans used in WWII. Not something you should buy.

Curious question from a newbie, I see the SS stamping on the scope in question and I realize that this particular scope is fake however if it was original would it be marked with 2 s's as shown SS or 1 s, S? or not at all. I remember reading somewhere (although im not sure where or if acurate) that SS guns where only ever stamped with one S?

Thanks

Curious question from a newbie, I see the SS stamping on the scope in question and I realize that this particular scope is fake however if it was original would it be marked with 2 s's as shown SS or 1 s, S? or not at all. I remember reading somewhere (although im not sure where or if acurate) that SS guns where only ever stamped with one S?

It is a fantasy product. There is no answer to your question. I may however put it differently: if one puts a Mercedes-Star and a BMW steering wheel and a Dodge seat in a Volkswagen, you wouldn't ask if it would be correct with a Porsche exhaust, would you?

The SS had their own scopes for their own sniper rifles. The early sniper rifles were Short Side Rail, the very early ones have had Dialytan scopes. Of those SOME carried in a single or in two places the SS runes, plus maybe also the Deaths Head. Later ones were of Ajack origin. Of those the very early ones were normal Ajack serial production scopes and the later ones were marked "SS Dienstglas". Followed later by the SS DC contract, which were Czech dow+ scopes. But neither of these has any connection with that fantasy product the OP asked upon.

Ask for more pictures
b0746334125905633e1136c355867fd0.jpg
5a6aadd11234a64296e0721546a2209b.jpg

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

It is a fantasy product. There is no answer to your question. I may however put it differently: if one puts a Mercedes-Star and a BMW steering wheel and a Dodge seat in a Volkswagen, you wouldn't ask if it would be correct with a Porsche exhaust, would you?

The SS had their own scopes for their own sniper rifles. The early sniper rifles were Short Side Rail, the very early ones have had Dialytan scopes. Of those SOME carried in a single or in two places the SS runes, plus maybe also the Deaths Head. Later ones were of Ajack origin. Of those the very early ones were normal Ajack serial production scopes and the later ones were marked "SS Dienstglas". Followed later by the SS DC contract, which were Czech dow+ scopes. But neither of these has any connection with that fantasy product the OP asked upon.

Thanks for the answer. So my information was wrong that some SS guns where marked with only one S?

You once again make the mistake of simplification.

Not all SS guns were SS marked, not all had a Single Rune on them, not all had Double Runes on them, and additionally what might apply to a rifle will not apply to a scope or a mount (or to any other SS item). Early SS rifles were Gew98 to K98k conversions that usually had Deaths Heads on the barrel shank, some with SS(2) above them. Others only had Deaths Heads. SS reworked/repaired rifles in their depot, these could carry a SSZZA-proof, sometimes hidden below the stock - and this could happen to any Army rifle as well. Plus SS also had the Single Rune contract guns, of which at the beginning the Single Rune was not only stamped on the receiver, but also on other parts (such as magazine guard). The later rifles from this contract didn't have the Single Rune. And I was only talking on the K98k rifle so far, no word on Machine Pistols, scopes or other items!

Please get yourself books by Michael Steves and Bruce Karem, they have a lot of pages on SS (items) only. Read those, they will help you understand and be able to determine fakes from originals.

Military Rifle Journal
Back