Third Party Press

1944 BCD 4 and DOT 44 at Legacy

nosbocaj

I'm not sure if I can link these as they're ongoing items, so I'll include the descriptions. Legacy Collectibles has two current K98k's:

1944 Gustloff-Werke K98 Rifle
Excellent Waffen-Werke K98 - dot 1944

I don't yet have my copy K98k Volume II yet, so I'm going strictly off of the pictures thread. I can't see anything obvious, but I'm still a noob.

From what I've read on here, Legacy knows their pistols, but has sold humped K98k's. The SS rune Hambone posted being a recent highlight. These both look to be in great condition and are around my price point, but I don't want to make a move if they're no good.

Thanks for the help.

The stock on the dot 1944 gives me pause, something about the bolt cutout looking so oval and Steyr-like. Maybe that's just me. The numbering looks okay at a half-second glance, but I would look closer at it first. Even if it's all good, $2.5k is a hell of a lot of money for a common code/year combo like a dot 1944, especially in this so-so condition.

The Gustloff serial numbering looks atrocious. The 1's on the bolt look absolutely silly, and it looks as though even the barrel is renumbered. Font looks all off compared to examples in the pic reference section.

Don’t be in too big a hurry, wait for the books and study them, because they don’t have a 44 Gustloff for sale, that’s a late Sauer. It also has an Israeli handguard on it.

Don’t be in too big a hurry, wait for the books and study them, because they don’t have a 44 Gustloff for sale, that’s a late Sauer. It also has an Israeli handguard on it.
Of course, explains the e/37's on the barrel/receiver and the Sauer looking barrel code. Still the 1's look wonky to me even for late Sauer. But these non-standard receiver borrowed k98k's aren't exactly a beginner's piece, I'd look elsewhere unless you have the books handy OP.

Of course, explains the e/37's on the barrel/receiver and the Sauer looking barrel code. Still the 1's look wonky to me even for late Sauer. But these non-standard receiver borrowed k98k's aren't exactly a beginner's piece, I'd look elsewhere unless you have the books handy OP.

My book comes tomorrow thankfully. I'm definitely not in any hurry to buy, just figured I'd ask. If they're no good, this thread can forever serve as a warning should somebody be saavy enough to search. Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Military Rifle Journal
Back