Third Party Press

Greetings, new gun show purchase

Jaq

Greetings. I just purchased a very clean-looking sporterized Mauser rifle from a local gun show this weekend. I was told it is a German make, but I could only guess a confirmation by my meagre googling. I found this forum by way of searching the receiver serial.
I'm not a collector but the design, caliber, and historical significance of the K98k always appealed to me. The only other "old" gun I have is a Garbage Rod.
The markings looked good enough and the rifle itself is very, very clean and appears well-maintained despite being 80 years old. And I got below what they were initially asking.

It is not a matching set.
Receiver is 8260 and dated 1940 with 243
Bolt is 2542
Magazine plate is 8282
No import marks that I can tell, though I've only seen the crappy dot matrix marks on Mosins and AKs.

The parts do appear to be matching to their corresponding groups.

Front sight has a "60" stamp, but has been modified with a brass bead. No hood.
Rear sight appears to be aftermarket add-on.

No other parts came with the rifle at time of purchase.

From what I've read, this is a Borsigwalde made rifle? But I have no idea what some of the other stamps are.

2aVBY38.png

7Ubep4y.png

TPRlW4a.png

mbKfwN2.png

To me, it's a beautiful rifle as it is. I'll be making a wall mount to display it in my office. Right next to the beer steins and Bavarian cuckoo clock :happy0180:
I hope to take a deer with it someday, even.

yep nice "DEER" rifle

its a mix master, looks like it was bead blasted and refinished,

yep nice "DEER" rifle

its a mix master, looks like it was bead blasted and refinished,

Thanks for the reply.
I'm new to this forum, so I'm not familiar with the term "mix master". Is this in reference to the mixed serials on the parts?

Also I'm puzzled by the deer in quotes statement? Am I missing something? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm still learning.

mix master- just as it sounds cobbled parts

its a great deer rifle and will never be anything, but a good deer rifle, it has NO collector value

they make great deer rifles, I used mine on a hog once

Are those 26 stamps on the opposite side of receiver? One sturdy hunting rifle for sure.

It has these on the opposite side:

DpnEAfm.jpg

What's the significance of these marks?
And the lower-case "n" looking mark under the serial?

TBH I don't buy guns to collect dust with, so I'm excited to just get out and shoot it. I'm waiting for some ammo to ship shortly.

Welcome- your rifle looks like it would make a nice shooter. Everyone can use a thump in the shoulder once in a while.

The small stamps reflected inspections made by a team of inspectors as the weapon was made. The number indicated the inspection team, and 26 was based at that plant. Generally, a team stayed at one plant for the duration, for example 359 was at Walther and 135 at Mauser, but occasionally different teams could move from plant to plant and there is a whole rabbit hole you might fall into tracking those that did.

The 'n' is part of the serial. It reflects the block of rifles, as the serial number would quickly run out with 10000, the following block would have the next suffix, hence the letter is sometimes referred to as the 'suffix' or 'block' letter. N would have been the 15th block, the first one would not have a suffix.

Military Rifle Journal
Back