Third Party Press

FN Mauser claimed to be a 303

UnionHillGuy

Registered
I just received a military design 98 thumb cut receiver with what I believe is only a FN crossed arms proof mark and the 1959 date code "b" greek letter on a rifle in a well bedded porter stock that was advertised by the auction house with a FFL as a .303 . I n late lock down, I was just trying to get a 98 receiver for my barrel and after problems of delivery to my FFL by sellers on gun broker and arms list, I bid and won what I was hoping was working JC Higgins style Mauser sporter. I should have just gone for a new Mauser M10 Volksgun, now advertised by some sellers for less money that I am already into my effort.

My question is, without any marking visible without disassembly, how do you verify the caliber? I used a plastic harbor freight caliper in the end of the barrel and got the 7.92 , also my 8mm factory cartridge bullet fits into the end to the bullet ogee. That would be the same for a .303 but the Mauser normal internal magazine does not suggest big rimmed cartridge. The safety was missing so I ordered the K98 flag 3 position safety, along with k98 iron rear sight. Even though it looks like the fn sporter barrel.

The JC Higgins commercial Mauser without the thumb cut came in 30-06 and 30-30 along with .270. I emptied a 30-06 and it would not load from the magazine. Besides the thumb hole cut in the side of the receiver , it has the stripper clip notch of the military Mauser, but not the front notch in the big ring receiver for 30-06 modifications of K98 actions.

I have 303 coming. Should I just take 8mm to the farm and see if it loads and fires? It is Remmington factory 8mm. But still, the bigger load if it was really some other caliber.

The .303 is rimmed. Merely inspect the extractor. If the extractor is a standard Mauser extractor then the .303 will not work.

...Should I just take 8mm to the farm and see if it loads and fires? It is Remmington factory 8mm. But still, the bigger load if it was really some other caliber.

This sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Why not just find a reasonably knowledgable person who can examine it and conclusively determine what caliber it is?

M

Military Rifle Journal
Back