Third Party Press

Opinions on Best Books on German Handguns

Oldnrth

Curious if anyone has a favorite on German WWII era handguns. I have a couple small arms books which cover just about every handgun manufactured to date, but aren’t specific to German Handguns. I’ve found “The P.38 Pistol” by Krutzek, but curious if anyone has other favorites.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately there isn't an all encompassing book like Jan Still Axis Pistols that I can recommend, and even that is 30 years out of print. There are many books out there for specific genres, but many are out of print. Here's a good start of a list:

Unique Pistols by Robert Adair
FN Browning Pistols by Anthony Vanderlinden
The Mauser HSc Pistol by Alan D Burnham and Peter Theodore
JP Sauer and Sohn by Jim Crate and Nico Van Gijn
Know your Czech Pistols by R J Berger
Beretta Modelle 1934 by Adriano Simoni
Kongsberg Colten by Karl Hanevik (not in English I believe)
The Radom Vis Pistol by Robert J Berger
Astra Automatic Pistols by Len Antaris

I know there are a few books by Dieter H Marshall and Per Mathisen individually on Walther PP / PPk. I am not sure which one is better as I do not own either.
I am unfamiliar with a good book on the Femaru's.
There's quite a few Luger books, someone else might have recommendations.

Hope this helps!

Unfortunately there isn't an all encompassing book like Jan Still Axis Pistols that I can recommend, and even that is 30 years out of print. There are many books out there for specific genres, but many are out of print. Here's a good start of a list:

Unique Pistols by Robert Adair
FN Browning Pistols by Anthony Vanderlinden
The Mauser HSc Pistol by Alan D Burnham and Peter Theodore
JP Sauer and Sohn by Jim Crate and Nico Van Gijn
Know your Czech Pistols by R J Berger
Beretta Modelle 1934 by Adriano Simoni
Kongsberg Colten by Karl Hanevik (not in English I believe)
The Radom Vis Pistol by Robert J Berger
Astra Automatic Pistols by Len Antaris

I know there are a few books by Dieter H Marshall and Per Mathisen individually on Walther PP / PPk. I am not sure which one is better as I do not own either.
I am unfamiliar with a good book on the Femaru's.
There's quite a few Luger books, someone else might have recommendations.

Hope this helps!

I did find a Volume II of Axis Pistols by Jan still for $300, obviously out of print so a little more expensive. Do you think that book would be worth it if you have the funds to shell out for it?

I did find a Volume II of Axis Pistols by Jan still for $300, obviously out of print so a little more expensive. Do you think that book would be worth it if you have the funds to shell out for it?
It's a shotgun approach to the subject matter. I find it useful for certain areas, but again, it is out of date and missing many new discoveries. I'd try and buy it for cheaper.

Thanks for the help and guidance. I ordered the P38 book, I’ll take a puerile through the ones you suggested, a lot to discover there too!

William York's book "VIS Radom" is a pretty good reference for Radom pistols. The book doesn't have a ton of history, but has a ton of pictures or markings, variations, etc.

IMO, this book is well worth $300 is you are going into collecting German and Allies pistols.

I will always advise people to spend $1,000 on books before dropping $2,000 on a pistol. It’s money well spent.

Thanks for the help all! Just bought the Axis Pistols and P38 book. Found a seller willing to work on the price! Hopefully will still be a good reference for some of the general questions.

Military Rifle Journal
Back