Third Party Press

bSw DSM... with Simson marks (triangle /S)

Bob in OHIO

Not sure this one was posted before...

One question.... is this style of receiver the less common of the two? (wreath surrounding bSw)?

Of course, the property mark (NSDMB) and the fully numbered bolt bits are cool....

Attachments

• D34.bsw.15.JPG
    D34.bsw.15.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 55
  • D34.bsw.22.JPG
    D34.bsw.22.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 46
  • D34.bsw.23.JPG
    D34.bsw.23.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 51
  • D34.bsw.12.JPG
    D34.bsw.12.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 43
  • D34.bsw.01.JPG
    D34.bsw.01.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 36
  • D34.bsw.02.JPG
    D34.bsw.02.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 36
  • D34.bsw.03.JPG
    D34.bsw.03.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 39
  • D34.bsw.04.JPG
    D34.bsw.04.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 34
  • D34.bsw.05.JPG
    D34.bsw.05.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 35
  • D34.bsw.06.JPG
    D34.bsw.06.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 38
  • D34.bsw.07.JPG
    D34.bsw.07.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 36
  • D34.bsw.08.JPG
    D34.bsw.08.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 35
Bob,

The 2nd logo variation isn't as prevalent as the 1st. Although not a DSM, I have a KKW "like" rifle that is about 76 serials below yours also with the BSW wreath logo.

Wreck,
Are you certain? I got my info from the Robert Simpson Trainer Book and it's generally pretty accurate. :googlie

I have not seen the triangle S marking on any DSM's before. Is that specific to BSW? Anyone traced that as a makers mark?

I have not seen the triangle S marking on any DSM's before. Is that specific to BSW? Anyone traced that as a makers mark?
The triangle is a simson maker mark, the maker name before they changed to BSW. Most BSWs throughout dsm production have at least some parts that are S marked... leftovers from earlier production (before name change). They mostly show up on Safeties, stocks (on pistol grip area), firing, pins, triggers and rear of cocking pieces...

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

So, I looked at Robert Simpson's trainer book.... and he mentions (p. 184) the second & later bSw logo used (the one shown above) "... appears on most bSw DSM rifles".

Bob that's a Dandy

In spite of the duffle cut. (or box cut if you prefer).

The thing with Simpson/BSW/Gustloff production is that receivers clearly were not used as produced, whether stored pending demand or reactions to the market (making what they could sell or had orders for when they could), all their .22 rimfires went out in that one serial number range, sometimes forming blocks by models to include the sporting .22's. At times I have thought certain blocks were dedicated to certain models, but I now think it was just the result of demand. Factory test target dates depicted within their literature guns targeted, well after the receivers would have been produced, much like what happened at Mauser Oberndorf on sporters.

Then there's that "bottom of the bin" thing that comes into play.

Then there's the matter of when was the receiver made or roll marked vs. when was it assembled and serially numbered. For example within the serial number sequence there are Simson marked receivers that are higher serial numbers than the first BSW roll marked receivers to appear.

All those things come into play.

So to say that one variation is the later, or the earler is pure speculation.

All one can really do is note when which ever style first appeared in serial sequence. But even then, clearly the .22's did not leave the factory in serial number sequence.

Anyway.. I really like the gun. Thanks for all your posting, always top knotch pictures.

Last edited:
Sorry late responding.. For me in BSW dsm production the first Pattern logo seems more common or more "seen" than the second logo.

I refer to as Early and late. Large BSW early type small round logo late. The BSW in house rifles 625 series is far more common than their DSM production. The whole production of Simson -bsw -gustloff is one sequential serial series running through and mixing with 625-617-dsm and kkw and other sporting arms produced. This makes it all pretty easy to track but, trying to figure production #'s more difficult..

Interesting discussion, and intriguing. I don’t haunt Dsm’s enough to have a great feeling for it like these Gentlemen do, but put me down for another vote that this is the lesser observed roll mark, just from casual observation.

As mentioned, many/most makers often used actions that sat for long periods before being utilized on a completed weapon. Given the fast pace of events surrounding this maker, going from Simson-Bsw-Waffa-Gustloff in just a few short years, it is no wonder the markings began to coalesce in every facet of their commercial weapons production. Many are dual marked or even over stamped!

There are some interesting examples throughout that prove this fact. Within Dsm production, on rare occasion, receivers can be seen with the Simson roll mark scrubbed and over stamped. Shotguns show up with Bsw markings over stamped with Gustloff. Shotguns, combination guns and drillings from Gustloff seem to almost unanimously exhibit Bsw marked receivers. In fact, I can’t recall ever seeing a Gustloff proper marked receiver. Another interesting observation was a Simson Mauser carrying a 1929 proof date, and a Bsw roll mark identical to Bob’s Dsm here. This particular barreled action, obviously sat shelved until the time came for final assembly, at which point the name had already changed!

I’d be interested in doing some cross referencing of serials from other facets of their production, given the serial continuity. Last but not least, that’s a nice rifle Bob!

Attachments

• CC9E6CE3-921B-4CE5-9D0A-59DC57048EAB.jpeg
    CC9E6CE3-921B-4CE5-9D0A-59DC57048EAB.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 09A4931E-C475-4DC6-9685-51CFA6DDC029.jpg
    09A4931E-C475-4DC6-9685-51CFA6DDC029.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 21

Military Rifle Journal
Back