Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bSw DSM... with Simson marks (triangle /S)

Default bSw DSM... with Simson marks (triangle /S)

Not sure this one was posted before...

One question.... is this style of receiver the less common of the two? (wreath surrounding bSw)?

Of course, the property mark (NSDMB) and the fully numbered bolt bits are cool....
    Attached Images Attached Images

email => K98@bobinohio.com

Smile

No, It's the more common receiver marking.
    Very cool DSM Bob. Thanks for sharing!

Bob,

The 2nd logo variation isn't as prevalent as the 1st. Although not a DSM, I have a KKW "like" rifle that is about 76 serials below yours also with the BSW wreath logo.

Question

Wreck,
    Are you certain? I got my info from the Robert Simpson Trainer Book and it's generally pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by swjXE View Post
    Wreck,
    Are you certain? I got my info from the Robert Simpson Trainer Book and it's generally pretty accurate.
    Just my observation on what I've seen in the market.

I have not seen the triangle S marking on any DSM's before. Is that specific to BSW? Anyone traced that as a makers mark?

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    I have not seen the triangle S marking on any DSM's before. Is that specific to BSW? Anyone traced that as a makers mark?
    The triangle is a simson maker mark, the maker name before they changed to BSW. Most BSWs throughout dsm production have at least some parts that are S marked... leftovers from earlier production (before name change). They mostly show up on Safeties, stocks (on pistol grip area), firing, pins, triggers and rear of cocking pieces...

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

So, I looked at Robert Simpson's trainer book.... and he mentions (p. 184) the second & later bSw logo used (the one shown above) "... appears on most bSw DSM rifles".

email => K98@bobinohio.com

Default Bob that's a Dandy

In spite of the duffle cut. (or box cut if you prefer).

The thing with Simpson/BSW/Gustloff production is that receivers clearly were not used as produced, whether stored pending demand or reactions to the market (making what they could sell or had orders for when they could), all their .22 rimfires went out in that one serial number range, sometimes forming blocks by models to include the sporting .22's. At times I have thought certain blocks were dedicated to certain models, but I now think it was just the result of demand. Factory test target dates depicted within their literature guns targeted, well after the receivers would have been produced, much like what happened at Mauser Oberndorf on sporters.

Then there's that "bottom of the bin" thing that comes into play.

Then there's the matter of when was the receiver made or roll marked vs. when was it assembled and serially numbered. For example within the serial number sequence there are Simson marked receivers that are higher serial numbers than the first BSW roll marked receivers to appear.

All those things come into play.

So to say that one variation is the later, or the earler is pure speculation.

All one can really do is note when which ever style first appeared in serial sequence. But even then, clearly the .22's did not leave the factory in serial number sequence.

Anyway.. I really like the gun. Thanks for all your posting, always top knotch pictures.
    Last edited by mauser22; 10-21-2020 at 11:52 AM. Reason: brain farts

Sorry late responding.. For me in BSW dsm production the first Pattern logo seems more common or more "seen" than the second logo.

I refer to as Early and late. Large BSW early type small round logo late. The BSW in house rifles 625 series is far more common than their DSM production. The whole production of Simson -bsw -gustloff is one sequential serial series running through and mixing with 625-617-dsm and kkw and other sporting arms produced. This makes it all pretty easy to track but, trying to figure production #'s more difficult..